dplyr not installing on Rstudio Cloud

Hello,
I am teaching a datascience class using R and Rstudio Cloud. Recently, the students and I tried to install the dplyr package in R.
We typed the command install.packages('dplyr') in the Rstudio Cloud command console.
However, during the installation process, we get the following lines:
g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [mutate.o] Error 4
/opt/R/3.6.0/lib/R/etc/Makeconf:176: recipe for target 'mutate.o' failed
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘dplyr’

• removing ‘/home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/dplyr’
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘dplyr’ had non-zero exit status

Could you please tell me a way to remedy this situation? I would like to use the data manipulation functions that are in dplyr.
Thanks!

I got an exactly same issue today.

Any idea how to solve the issue. Did it ever install?

This is because dplyr requieres more than 1 GB of RAM to compile (the current RAM limit), they solve this issue by caching precompiled binaries of the packages, but there is a lag between the release of a new version and the availability of the cached version.

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that the only thing we can do is wait for the cached version to update?

Same issue here. Is there a way to create a cache locally and load it into the cloud for a group (say a class)?

1 Like

This would be great, anxious to get moving! Is it possible to specify an old version/cache?

Hey @stevenolen, can you help with this?

I successfully installed the development version of dplyr using

devtools::install_github("tidyverse/dplyr")

We are looking into resolving this ASAP. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2 Likes
  1. Still an issue currently.

2. Could we get a package status section on the status page for RStudio Cloud?

It should be in the cache for R 3.6.0 as of 5 minutes ago. Other R versions will take some time.
I will speak with the team about treating this as a status event in some fashion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.