E-commerce-Hugo-Rstudio

Hello,

I have two questions that I did not get an answer from various internet posts.
Can I add e-commerce functionality and subscriptions to my blogdown website?
Can I still add Rmarkdown if I change the website to reach the functions mentioned in top? Thanks.

Hi! And welcome.

RMarkdown, Hugo and the other options produce a "static" website, which means that any programming logic in response to user-input has to be handled through HTML/CSS/Javascript and friends. You can put up an RSS feed.

I am sorry but i don t get the answer. Can you explain it in detail?

The Blogdown / Hugo platform is best suited to static presentations.

If your use case requires content monetization / other forms of e-commerce (eShop or the like) you should consider other platforms. I have good experience with WordPress, but it is by no means unique.

1 Like

Think of a RMarkdown/Hugo website as "write once, read many." The author writes and people loading the file read. See the blogdown book for a detailed explanation.

Hi nelusan.
I tried this 2 Hugo themes with integrated e-commerce platforms: vex and hargo.

The e-commece integration works through snipcart, so you need to have an account there. Concretely you need to add an api-key in your Hugo code (for vex you can do it directly in the config.toml file, for hargo if i remember right it is in theme/layouts/partials/head.html).

Snipcart charge you with 2% of your sales (but minimum 10$/month). Then you need to choose a payment gateway (ex. paypal, stripe, etc.) for the management of payment with credit cards. They charge you another 2-3% + some cents for every transactions (or only paypal checkout for free).

You can do your site completely with Rblogdown and Hugo, but you manage all the e-commerce side directly in snipcart (it is relatively simple and well documented). And you can set snipcart in test-mode, so you can do your trials.

Sorry for bad english :wink:

1 Like