Editing sidebar matter and nav links in blogdown site

blogdown

Hi community,

I hope I’m posting in the right place. I’m currently trying to set up a blogdown site using Hugo and the Hyde theme (for now, I keep changing my mind about the theme). There’s currently

An elegant open source and mobile first theme for hugo made by @mdo. Originally made for Jekyll.

in the sidebar. How do I edit this part?

I’m using this blogdown book but I haven’t been able to find a solution. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

Also, is it possible to send the home page to my own .Rmd file? Say, to about instead?

Cheers

Soooo, in the Jekyll version of this theme, it’s in the _config.yml, but I’m not 100% sure how Hugo works. Is it the description item in theme.toml?

I don’t know enough about Hugo or blogdown to know how to set the home page up, sorry :sweat_smile:

EDIT: I’m guessing that using an .Rmd as the home page works the same way as using a .md or other file—maybe you just name it index.Rmd, pop it in the root folder (actually, it could be content/_index.rmd in Hugo), and make sure it starts with a frontmatter block like:

+++
layout = "default"
+++

Here is my awesome home page content! With some R chunks, or whatever I wanna put in there...

The layout would be one of the ones provided by the theme… sorry, I know that’s a little vague! If someone with more Hugo knowledge wants to jump in, they might be able to give you a better answer :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for helping out :sunny:

So, there wasn’t a _index.Rmd file already there. I tried making one, but that didn’t work. Perhaps there’s a blogdown command to help with index generation?

Hmmm. If you serve the site using blogdown::serve_site() or the Serve Site add-in in RStudio, that should generate it and put the built site in public/. What does that look like (if we don’t put _index.rmd in there)?

The sections of Hugo themes are driven by single html files. The names and usage is mostly consistent, but I’ve noticed that there are variances. In you case, I believe the side bar is controlled by the sidebar.html file located under the theme’s folder in the layouts/partials sub-folder. There are two options to edit/override this file, the first one is to change what you need in its current location, the second is to create the layouts/partials folders in your root project directory, copy the current side bar file there, and modify that one. Hugo has a hierarchy of places were it looks for its section sources, and layouts/ has higher priority than themes/[theme]/layouts/. Hope this helps.

Thanks, @edgararuiz. Really helpful!