Error in R and Rstudio Installation

I have downloaded R and RStudio for the first time on my work computer, and have run into an issue that I haven't seen before when I've installed these on other machines. As soon as I open RStudio, in the Console there is an error message: Error in tools::startDynamicHelp() : internet routines cannot be loaded. I've tried changing the Cran repo, uninstalling and installing again but no luck there either. I have a Windows 10 laptop.

Similar issue was posted here about 6 months ago but

no solution - Error in tools::startDynamicHelp() : internet routines cannot be loaded - R Admins / Package Management - RStudio Community

I'm having the same issue. I recently updated R, RStudio, and RTools.
I've uninstalled all versions of each of these and reinstalled them after restarting my machine.
I also tried turning off Windows Firewall and adding RStudio to the exemption list.

I'm using Windows 10. R-4.0.5. RStudio 1.4.1106. Getting exactly the same message when I open RStudio.

I've been stuck on this all day - can't install any packages ...

UPDATE: I reinstalled R with both x64 and x32 versions, then ran RStudio using the R x32 version (hold Ctrl while opening RStudio and select x32 version). This worked for me - I'm back up.

Thanks Tristan! I ended up downloading an older version of R 3.6.3 specifically, and that resolved my issue. Seems like my work computer is not compatible with the latest version of R.

Very unlikely, I think it is just a misconfiguration. Have you tried resetting RStudio's state and updating your packages with checkBuilt = TRUE? It also might be worthy to check your Rprofile startup files, just in case.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.