Error in rendering the Rmarkdown document

While rendering the rmarkdown document, I am getting the error such as: Error: evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion / options(expressions=)? Execution halted.

This error gets generated after I press knit to HTML option.

I tried installing the R and RStudio again, with the latest version. However, I am getting the same error again. Can anybody please help?

Without any file to try reproduce, we won't be able to help further.

This can happen due to anything in your document content. Any R code in a chunk could have the issue.

We have no report of general issue with rmarkdown for default document.

Can you share more ?

Thanks for the reply!
Here is a file that I am trying to render. This is not the only file that is having this issue. If I render another .Rmd file, the same issue pops up.
I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the R, though without any success. Can you please guide?

output:
html_document: default
word_document: default

title: "R Notation"
author: "Siddharth"
date: "r Sys.Date()"
output:
html_document: default
knitr::opts_chunk$set(echo = TRUE)

Load the Data Frame

To demonstrate the R notation, we will use deck.csv file, which contains 52 observations representing full deck of cards. Let's load the data set:

getwd()
setwd("E:/Training Modules/introduction to R/R Notation")
getwd()
card_deck <- read.table("deck.csv",sep=',',header=TRUE, stringsAsFactors = FALSE)

Check first few rows of data set

head(card_deck)

Positive Integers

R treats positive integers just as ij notation in linear algebra: rdeck[i,j]`, will return the value of the deck that is in ith row and jth column

card_deck[1,1]

To extract more than one value use vector of positive integers

card_deck[1,c(1,2,3)]

R's notation system is not limited to data frames. You can use the same syntax to select values in any R object.

vec <- c(1,2,3,4,5,6)
vec[1:3]

Negative Integers

R will return every index except the elements in the negative index.

card_deck[-(2:52),  1:3]

R will return an error if you try to pair negative integer with positive integer in same index

card_deck[c(1,-1),1]

Zero

What would happen if you used zero as an index?

card_deck[0,0]

Blank Spaces

Useful for extracting entire row or column from a data frame

card_deck[1,]

Logical Values

If you use a vector of TRUE and FALSE as index, R will match each TRUE and FALSE to a row/column in data frame

card_deck[1, c(TRUE, TRUE, FALSE)]

card_deck[c(FALSE,FALSE,TRUE),1:2]

Names

If the columns have names, then you can extract the columns of data frame using its name

card_deck[ , "suit"]

Dollar Sign and Double Brackets

$ symbol is used to extract values from data frame and lists. To select column from data frame, write the data frame's name and column name separated by $.

card_deck$value
mean(card_deck$value)
median(card_deck$value)

sub-setting a list, $ notation, single bracket and double brakcet

lst <- list(number=c(1,2),logical=c(TRUE,FALSE),strings=c("a","b","c"))
lst

Sub-setting list - Using single bracket.

for single bracket sub-setting, the result is smaller list within a list. This can cause problem, because many R functions do not work with the list. For. e.g. sum(list[1]) will throw an error

lst[1]
sum(list[1])

$ notation in the list

The above issue can be addressed by using $ notation. When $ notation is used, R will return selected values, with no list structure attached around them:

lst$number
sum(lst$number)

Sub-setting list - Using double bracket.

If the elements in the list do not have names, you can use two brackets to subset the list. This is similar to using dollar notation for sub-setting the list.

lst[[1]]
sum(lst[[1]])

Atomic vector used in example

myvec <- c(1,4,56,21,14)
myvec

myvec[-2]

Data frame used in example

my_dataframe <- data.frame(person=c("Siddharth","Aarya","Meghana","Omkar","Atharva"),
age=c(42,40,17,14,1),
sex=factor(c("M","F","F","M","M")))

my_dataframe

my_dataframe[1,c(TRUE,TRUE,FALSE)]

List used in example

my_list <- list(my_matrix=matrix(data=1:4,nrow=2,ncol=2),logical=c(T,F,T,T),strings="hello",numbers=c(10:14))
my_list

my_list[1]

thanks
Siddharth

Please look at

FAQ: How to Format R Markdown Source

to understand how to format your question correctly so that we can correctly see the source

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.