Error saving script files

I often (and repeatedly) get the error:
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
when trying to save a script file (regardless where I try to save it).

Any idea how to fix this? Thank you.

2 Likes

I get this dialog box popping up regularly when I am working on a script, even when I am not trying to save anything. It's as if there's an auto-save setting somewhere that is regularly trying to save a file. Very annoying!

Edit: Ah! I think I know why. It's to do with the project folder being backed up to the cloud (Dropbox in this case but I suspect it wouldn't matter which cloud service). The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I think RStudio is trying to keep my R history or .Rproj file auto-saved for me and this is not playing nicely with Dropbox.

Hello, sorry to direct this message to you could you please tell me if you found a solution? Currently, dropbox is broken I even had to format two machines to see if anything else was blocking the temp data between the two ends of syncing.

Rstudio is indeed autosaving I believe as a new feature and the problem is that everything gets washed away on every reopening of the app. Dropbox states conflict and its very hard to obtain code that hasn't been saved properly.
Any other channel to raise this issue?

2 Likes