Error submitting package to CRAN

I'm helping out with the submission of a package to CRAN. We've received this feedback regarding this submission, specifically about an error showing up on Windows on R-devel. I've tested on R-hub with devtools::check_rhub(platforms = "windows-x86_64-devel") and it works fine. We've not received this error on previous submissions.

Does anyone have an idea about why we're getting this error?

Thanks!!

Loading this package had a fatal error status code 1
Loading log:
Loading required package: dplyr
Error: package or namespace load failed for 'dplyr' in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
 there is no package called 'tibble'
Error: package 'dplyr' could not be loaded

(full error message here)

Could be totally off base here but is this maybe related to having dplyr listed under Depends in your DESCRIPTION file (as opposed to Imports)?

From Package Development Book

Depends : Prior to the rollout of namespaces in R 2.14.0, Depends was the only way to “depend” on another package. Now, despite the name, you should almost always use Imports , not Depends . You’ll learn why, and when you should still use Depends , in namespaces.

1 Like

Hmm I think in the context of this package dplyr qualifies as an exception for using Depends here, since it's designed to provide modified dplyr functions:

The only exception is if your package is designed to be used in conjunction with another package. For example, the analogue package builds on top of vegan. It’s not useful without vegan, so it has vegan in Depends instead of Imports . Similarly, ggplot2 should really Depend on scales, rather than Import ing it.