FAQ: Should I @name mention other users in my post?

faq

What is @name mentioning?

@name mentioning a user is when you mention someone, typing their username with an @ preceding it.
For example, with @JacqueHousteauGram in my text, Jacque here will be dynamically notified in community (and via email if he's configured for it).

Please don't use this feature excessively

In general, it is considered bad form to @name mention someone else not otherwise engaged in the thread.

Why should I limit my mentioning of others?

• It can be annoying
    • This guideline has comes from requests from some active people, frequently mentioned in topics. Certainly, many people don't mind being mentioned, but we'd like to limit the number of notifications these folks get if we can.
    • @name mentioning a user will often send them an email (this is editable in email settings). Abuse of this feature can fill up one's email inbox.
  • @name mentioning users is probably unnecessary
    • Active users often get notifications of new posts and watch the site regularly anyway.
    • Simply posting to the best category with a descriptive title will usually get your topic more attention than mentioning specific users.
  • In general, this community-forum prefers to keeps discussions focused on ideas and not individual users. If you do not feel your post has received the attention you’d like, we encourage you to reformulate it rather than call in specific people.

Are you still able to mention other @named users?

Yes! We just ask you to use it thoughtfully and sparingly.

For example, if really only this one person could address a point in the discussion.

Guidelines for handling "excessive" mentioning of others.

Admittedly, it is not clear where to draw the line between a reasonable mention of another user, and an abuse of this feature. But think about the following escalating interventions.

1. Send a PM - if it doesn’t happen often/is just one user and you don’t want to post/reply something off-topic. Keep it friendly.
  2. Make a public statement - if it starts to happen more often and other users seem to think that’s a norm here. Keep it friendly, no shaming.
  3. Just edit the posts and remove the mentions -- if it happens so often that every new user seems to get influenced by the pattern.
  4. Flag and hide posts - if users won’t stop even after multiple pleas.

Communication between the ui.R and server.R in Shiny
Adding .id for pluck

If Rstudio hasn't built and cached a package, are you able to install it?
Ggplot troubleshoot: Error: Aesthetics must be either length 1 or the same as the data (24): x, y, fill
How to get percentage and then create a plot from a given output
Loading 20 GB Json file at R :)