File access slowdown when working in project on remote disk

I'm finding that when I open a project on a remote drive, All file and debugging functionality slows to a halt. I don't think this is just a matter of slow network, as I can open files on the drive while working in a local project and there's no slowdown at all. Once I'm in a project on the drive though, that same file will take ~15 seconds to open. This becomes particularly frustrating when debugging functions, where it takes 15 s just to start the debugging. Any solutions?

update: the issue only seems to pop up once a shiny app gets launched. Running the app on the same project locally doesn't cause the issue, and closing the app/clearing everything from environment doesn't resolve it. Rstudio has to be relaunched.

update 2 : it's actually plotly that's causing the issue, and removing temp files / running dev.off / clearing all plots in history doesn't fix the issue. Launching the shiny app directly in a browser instead of through rstudio seems to avoid the problem.

system info:

sysname release version
"Windows" "7 x64" "build 7601, Service Pack 1"

session info:

R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

1 Like

There’s been some discussion of laggy-ness with projects on network drives:

I don’t know if this is the same as any of those issues, or if this is something else?

Some system information might be helpful...

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: (Desktop or Server)
  • RStudio Version:
  • OS Version:
  • R Version:

Also:

Depending on your issue, the following may be useful
If a section isn't relevant or you can't collect it just delete that section below

1 Like

There's certainly similarities in symptoms, but mine only begins once I launch shiny. It seems to actually be plotly that's the cause of the issue, but even after deleting all temp files associated with the plot the problem persists.