group_by then mutate not working

I have suddenly run into the issue where any time that I specifically try to use group_by and then mutate, the output is only NAs. If I run the same exact code on a co-worker's workspace, the output is as expected. All other functions that I use are working normally. I have tried detaching and reloading libraries. I have tried using a new workspace and recreating all data frames, and code that previously worked for me no longer has the correct output. I am using R version 3.4.4. Would appreciate any help! Here are examples of code that previously worked fine and now returns only NA for all output.

ventfile <- ventfile %>% 
  group_by(mrn, hsp_account_id) %>% 
  mutate(fourdays=ifelse(max(Interval)-min(Interval) > 95,1,NA))


ventfile24 <- ventfile %>%
  group_by(mrn, hsp_account_id) %>%
  filter(row_number()<=24) %>%
  mutate(SetRR2=mean(`Set Respiratory Rate`))
type or paste code here

Could you please turn this into a self-contained reprex (short for reproducible example)? It will help us help you if we can be sure we're all working with/looking at the same stuff. You're not far from that now, except no one else has ventfile. You can easily add a small sample of the actual file (if you can't recreate the behaviour with built-in data) in various ways, but I personally like the datapasta approach best.


If you've never heard of a reprex before, you might want to start by reading the help page. The reprex dos and don'ts are also useful.

What to do if you run into clipboard problems

If you run into problems with access to your clipboard, you can specify an outfile for the reprex, and then copy and paste the contents into the forum.

reprex::reprex(input = "fruits_stringdist.R", outfile = "")

For pointers specific to the community site, check out the reprex FAQ.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.