Having trouble connecting to oracle databases using RStudio

Hi all,

I am having a lot of difficulty connecting to Oracle databases using R and I was looking if I could get any help or suggestions.
For example, I am able to connect to the same databases using Microsoft PowerBI, or SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), but when I try using R or RStudio, I continue to get errors. I am also wondering if there are other packages or ideas I should try to connect with. The server is not public, so I wont put the actual name below, but here is what I have tried.

connectDEV <- DBI::dbConnect(odbc::odbc(),
Driver = "Oracle in instantclient_19_8",
DBQ = "servername:port/folder",
UID = rstudioapi::askForPassword("Database user"),
PWD = rstudioapi::askForPassword("Database password"))

The error I keep getting:

Error: nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:983: IM002: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

What I have tried:
I have installed the drivers, and have a file C:/Oracle, in that folder I have instant_client_19_8. When I do odbc::odbcListDrivers() I don't see any with the name instantclient, but when I try to install using run as admin, start odbc_install.exe, it quickly flashes and then nothing happens.

What I installed:
https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html
Basic Package and ODBC Package
(The odbc package is what had the installer, I unzipped both in the same folder).

Any ideas? What else should I try?

Thank you!

Update: I fixed it. I had to do the following, from the above link in addition to installing the instant client Development and Runtime- optional packages, download 'ODBC'

Just to confirm, you've created and tested the database connection in the ODBC Connections settings in Windows?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

Thanks, I managed to fix it. Updated my question to explain how.