Help ! error when installing the source package ‘lme4’

Rstudio version: RStudio-1.3.1093
R version:R-3.6.3
lme4 package version: lme4_1.1-27.1
Dear friends, When I install the Lme4 package using Rstudio, an error occurs. The detailed error information is as follows,I would be grateful if you could give me some advice or solutions
ERROR: dependency 'Rcpp' is not available for package 'lme4'

• removing 'D:/Program Files (x86)/R-3.6.3/library/lme4'
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘lme4’ had non-zero exit status
    The downloaded source packages are in
    ‘C:\Users\h-p\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpuYumiQ\downloaded_packages’

I'm not sure if this is the only problem, since you are not posting the complete output message but, at least this part is telling you that you are missing a package dependency, try installing it first and if you get a new error message, post it here.

install.packages("Rcpp")
1 Like

When I installed “Rcpp”, a new error appeared, as detailed below:

> install.packages("Rcpp")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/

There is a binary version available but the source version is later:
     binary source needs_compilation
Rcpp  1.0.6  1.0.7              TRUE

installing the source package ‘Rcpp’

试开URL’https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/Rcpp_1.0.7.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2941808 bytes (2.8 MB)
downloaded 2.8 MB

* installing *source* package 'Rcpp' ...
** 成功将'Rcpp'程序包解包并MD5和检查
** using staged installation
** libs

*** arch - i386
c:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/g++ -std=gnu++11  -I"D:/Program Files (x86)/R-3.6.3/include" -DNDEBUG -I../inst/include/         -O2 -Wall  -mtune=core2 -c api.cpp -o api.o
sh: line 1: c:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/g++: No such file or directory
make: *** [D:/Program Files (x86)/R-3.6.3/etc/i386/Makeconf:215: api.o] Error 127
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Rcpp'
* removing 'D:/Program Files (x86)/R-3.6.3/library/Rcpp'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘Rcpp’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘C:\Users\h-p\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpMzmtM8\downloaded_packages’

You need to have RTools installed in your system for compiling packages from source, you can download a matching version of RTools (for your old R version) from here

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/history.html

1 Like

Ok, I will try as you say, thank you for taking the time to answer, very grateful for your help, best wishes to you ~

Did you try replying No to installing Rcpp 1.0.7 from source? The 1.0.6 binary should work fine for lme4.

Thanks very much for your advice, and I installed a matching RTools in my system. The problem has been solved.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.