Help needed with RStudio error message

Hello,

I am new to using R and RStudio.

I am encountering an issue when trying to install packages and am getting the following error messages: "Error in nchar(homeDir) : invalid multibyte string, element 1" "In normalizePath(path.expand(path), winslash, mustWork) : path[1]="C:/Users/J�r�me/Documents": Le chemin d’accès spécifié est introuvable".

I’ve looked online and contacted different people for help, but without any success. I apologize if it is a trivial issue that can be easily fixed.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

The error message indicates that you have diacritic symbols in your Windows username.
If it possible for you to work with username Jerome without accents/diacritics, I would try that.

Hello,

I did find out that was the issue. However, even when modifying the name of my account, folder and everything to "Jerome" the issue persists because Windows is keeping "Jérôme" as the directory name.

Honestly, I have no clue how to modify this and have been at it for the whole day. The only solution I found is to create a new account in Windows without any sepcial symbols and RStudio works perfectly fine there.

The issue is I would like to keep using the account I have now. Pretty much everything on there I'd like to keep as is (files, settings, etc.)

Do you know how I would go about removing "Jérôme" everywhere and replacing it with "Jerome"?

See https://forum.posit.co/t/zoltan-in-my-pathname-causing-errors-creating-r-notebook-html/128298 for a similar entry.
What version of R do you use? The link suggests that the latest version could solve these problems.

I am using the latest version of both R and RStudio (4.2.1). I tried many times to totally uninstall the programs from my computer and reinstall them, to no avail. I would like nit to have to modify my name and thus the pathway used, but if it is the only solution it is what I'll do. Do you know how to modify the name of a users file in Windows? I have tried to follow different tutorials online, but made things worse.

Not much help from here, I am afraid.
Suggestions:

• do a search for r_user install site:https://forum.posit.co
  • rename this topic to a more specific name in order to attract more readers

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.