Trying to setup RStudio in a Windows 10 machine to version control a project using git(hub) and got stuck. I've done this a long time ago in my old machine and worked smoothly, but now I can't find what is wrong.
I've looked around and double-check all the issues/solutions I found, including weird issues with file names and special characters. I've gone carefully through happygitwithr, but can't find a solution, so I try here to see if someone helps me diagnose the problem and find a solution.
I've set up this:
- Install Git for Windows, set global username and email address.
- Enable Git Support in RStudio Global Options, and created ssh rsa key. (I am currently using RStudio v1.2.1060-2 Preview.)
- Configure the ssh key in github.
I originally was trying to add git version control to an existing project, but then I decided to go for the simplest case just to make sure everything works.
- I created a simple github repository (testgit), initializing it with readme.
- The, in RStudio did New Project -> Check out project from version control repository -> and cloned git repository using URL https://github.com/elikesprogramming/testgit.git
At this point, everything works. RStudio pulls the files from github and everything fine.
- Then open and edit the README.md
And still ok. As expected, the file appears now as modified in the Git pane.
- Then mark the README.md as staged and click on commit.
And here I am stuck. The Review Changes window opens and stays there showing the waiting/loading gif forever in the changes pane. Nothing happens. Nothing shows in any pane. I write a commit message and hit commit and nothing happens.
If I do the commit and push request using pure git in the command line, it works fine, but I can't get it working through RStudio.