Home page of hugo academic is gone

Hey there. I was updating my website today (no big changes) and at some point the main page stopped rendering. I don't think I changed anything major so I don't know what could I have done.

At first, the blog wasn't rendering at all, but after reinstalling blogdown I get this message:

> blogdown::serve_site()
Building sites … WARN 2020/05/20 11:30:39 Page.Hugo is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use the global hugo function.
WARN 2020/05/20 11:30:39 Page.RSSLink is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use the Output Format's link, e.g. something like: 
    {{ with .OutputFormats.Get "RSS" }}{{ .RelPermalink }}{{ end }}
WARN 2020/05/20 11:30:39 Page.URL is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use .Permalink or .RelPermalink. If what you want is the front matter URL value, use .Params.url
WARN 2020/05/20 11:30:39 .File.TranslationBaseName on zero object. Wrap it in if or with: {{ with .File }}{{ .TranslationBaseName }}{{ end }}
WARN 2020/05/20 11:30:39 found no layout file for "CSS" for kind "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

|  EN   
-------------------+-------
  Pages            |   86  
  Paginator pages  |    1  
  Non-page files   |    4  
  Static files     | 2036  
  Processed images |    0  
  Aliases          |   21  
  Sitemaps         |    1  
  Cleaned          |    0  

Total in 1318 ms
To stop the server, run servr::daemon_stop(1) or restart your R session
Serving the directory /Users/brunawundervald/OneDrive - Maynooth University/blog/brunaw at http://127.0.0.1:4321

And the following image for the home page. I can see by the message that there are some issues happening but I don't know how to interpret/fix them. I didn't change anything in the theme folder. Any clue of what's going on?

Hi! Oof. Can you share the version of Hugo (blogdown::hugo_version())? This looks like a mismatch between Hugo versions and your theme. The actual theme should be fixed upstream, so to update it I use blogdown::install_theme(theme = "gcushen/hugo-academic", update_config=FALSE, force = TRUE). But beware- this will overwrite your themes/ folder so hopefully you haven't been editing that one :wink:

3 Likes

Hey @apreshill, thank you for answering. The blogdown version is ‘0.71.0’. I updated the theme as you indicated but I still get the same result. I kind of gave up on fixing it because I think there might be some hidden bugs that will be too fiddly to find, from old problems that I only half fixed. Thank you for your help!

Ok, next idea- check your config.toml file, is this line in there?

https://github.com/gcushen/hugo-academic/blob/master/exampleSite/config/_default/config.toml#L62

Reason: late last year, Hugo switched the default markdown renderer from BlackFriday to goldmark. See https://gohugo.io/news/0.60.0-relnotes/. Goldmark by default calls all raw HTML code unsafe, so you need to configure goldmark to allow raw HTML. I'm not certain this is your issue, but this is what I would check next.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.