How 2 versions of RStudio are so different

Hi there,

I'm new to this community and on my own trying to get RStudio desktop working.

My colleague uses 1.2.1335 to run processes to create our KPIs.
My RStudio died one day for absolutely no reason so have had to re-install. I now have 1.4.1106, but I cannot run the processes my colleague created as I keep getting errors, or even getting rubbish data.
Sadly my colleague is not in for a few weeks and non-contactable.
Would anyone be able to answer this question - would a newer version of RStudio give errors because I'm running a newer version, or because I don't have everything installed correctly ?

Note that RStudio is only part of the issue; RStudio runs as an IDE --- Integrated Development Environment --- over whatever version of R you have installed.

For us to help, you need to be clear on:

• What versions of R are you and your colleague running?
  • Have you installed all of the R packages your colleagues' code required?

Although it is difficult to be sure, your note suggests that the root of your problem could be as simple as not having the correct versions of the necessary packages installed...

Please check the above and report back...

Wow, thank you for getting back to me so quickly !
You can probably tell I don't know much about RStudio !
For instance I have R i386 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 and R x64 4.0.2 & 4.0.4 loaded (I think that shows how many different things I have tried!)
I agree that the issue is probably me not having all the packages installed, but hard to tell.
I think I will try running some scripts again and install whatever it shouts about.
Thank you so much for helping !

Hi Loue,
in the future, you and your colleagues could look into using renv to record your project's particular requirements and dependencies. Renv is designed to facilitate such issues. But its not something that can work 'after the fact', projects to be shared/shareable should be set up with it prior to sharing.

Introduction to renv • renv (rstudio.github.io)

Ok, thanks for the info!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.