How should i present my categorical data?

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to present my data but I'm having some trouble deciding what graph to use...

I'm studying the effect of alcohol concentration on gene expression.

I have two categorical variables. One is the alcohol concentration (0, 1 and 2 %) and for the other I've graded gene expression in my samples from 1 - 4. For each concentration i have three groups and in each group i have around 4 samples.

I was thinking on doing a boxplot but I'm not sure if i have to have continuous data on one of the axis?

any help would be appreciated!

I still don't completely understand the data you have. What do you mean with " For each concentration i have three groups" is this referring to the graded gene expressions?

For Boxplots indeed you should have numerical (continuous), if your grading indeed can be understood as expression 4 is roughly 2 times that of expression 2 and 4 times that of 1 it could be used.
I would probably go for a stacked bar-plot to show the proportions of each of the groups.

Hello,

I should've explained this more clearly.

For each alcohol concentration, I have three groups and four samples that I have graded 1-4:

0% group one: 4, 4, 4, 3
0% group two: 4, 4, 4, 4
0% group three: 4, 4, 3, 3

1% group one: 3, 2, 2, 2
etc....

Thank you very much for your help. I think a stacked bar-plot is more suitable for my data.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.