How to hyperlink between different .rmd files in RMarkdown?

Hello! How can I make hyperlinks between different .rmd files. I have several .rmd files on different topics, including media files, which I knit into html files to be published in form of an encyclopedia. I want the reader to be able to click on and switch topics and names of people etc. on the different html pages. Is there a way to do that? I understood the way hyperlinks are created within one document, but what about different documents? Or do I have to put all .rmd files in one and knit it into a single html document to be able to make hyperlinks? This would be problematic as the media files make each document very heavy.
Thanks for any suggestions!

I think you have to use externals links and of course they are dependent on the structure of your html files. I use Hugo to build (part of) a website and because of that I know the name of the html page that is published. How do you plan to organize your files?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

They are separate for now and ideally, I want them all to be connected, plus containing hyperlinks that via mouse click link to different headings and topics.

To be honest, I am not sure yet how to organise it. Im totally new to Markdown. It is supposed to be in some kind of book format. At the moment I just have several .rmd files knitted into html.

Thanks! will check it out!

That is possible. As an example I made a small website to show that.
But for a larger website you could look at better solutions as e.g. the blogdown package.
As an example I knitted a main_page document and two sub documents and copied the resulting html files to the following structure:

mainpage
pages / doc1
pages / doc2

You can view the website here .
The following three Rmd files were used:

main_page.Rmd:

---
title: "main page"
author: "LisaG1"
date: "4/20/2020"
output: html_document
---

```{r setup, include=FALSE}
knitr::opts_chunk$set(echo = TRUE)
```

## My New Media Website

At the moment it contains:

- [doc1](.\pages\doc1.html) First entry
- [doc2](.\pages\doc2.html) Second entry

A lot more to follow !

doc1.Rmd:

---
title: "doc1 page"
---

```

This is doc1 and it contains a reference to [doc2](.\doc2.html) .

A overview of all entries can be found in the [main document](../main_page.html) .

doc2.Rmd:

---
title: "doc2 page"
---

```

This is doc2 and it contains a reference to [doc1](.\doc1.html).

A overview of all entries can be found in the [main document](../main_page.html).
1 Like