I attempted to install development version of tidyverse and now none of the tidyverse functions are working

I attempted to install the developmental version of tidyverse with the following code:

devtools::install_github("tidyverse/ggplot2")

I'll be honest, I have no idea what this code does, I just copied and pasted from the internet. After I did this the functions in tidyverse stopped working and returned errors. I decided to uninstall tidyverse and re install it, hoping that would solve the error. Now I cannot install tidyverse. I get the following error:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
namespace ‘pillar’ 1.2.1 is being loaded, but >= 1.3.1 is required

I am confused so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Before getting into details about your set up, what usually works is a vanilla install

install.package("tidyverse")

For most R users, the only reason to do a devtools install is for a package that is not yet on CRAN. For us mere mortals, CRAN is the way to go and install.packages() doesn't care if you already have devtools::install version.

Try that and post back. We'll try to find what else might be going on.

The error message is giving you a clue, you have to update pillar package to a newer version.

install.packages("pillar")
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.