IDE is tiny, only takes up lower left quadrant of window

On my MacBook running macOS 10.13.6, when RStudio preview 1.2.981 is started on my external monitor, is shows up like this:

Zooming in or out only affects the tiny IDE-in-the-window. When I drag the window to the MacBook's internal screen, it looks ok again. It remains normal-looking when I then drag it back to the external monitor. This problem not occur with RStudio preview 1.2.907.

The internal display is a 2560x1600 13" Retina display, while the external monitor is a 3780x2160 43" screen (non-Retina).

Hi! Welcome!

There’s been some previous reports of various problems with HiDPI secondary monitors. For example:

Better support for HiDPI monitors is apparently a goal for the 1.2 release — so to double check, you are saying that this is not a problem when running the 1.2 Preview? What version of RStudio are you running where it is a problem?

(If it’s not a problem in Preview release, is there a reason that you can’t run that release day-to-day?)

1 Like

It is a problem with preview version 1.2.981. It was not a problem with the previous 1.2 preview versions, such as 1.2.907. I do run the preview version day to day, but have downgraded from 1.2.981 to 1.2.907 because of the problem I described.

1 Like

See also: https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues/3479

There's a candidate fix for this coming in the next daily builds.

I am also having this same issue.

The problem had been fixed a while ago in the previews, but is now back for me with RStudio Preview 1.2.1070 on macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), excactly as described in the initial report. The rendering engine is set to auto-detect, GPU blacklist and driver bug workarounds are enabled. My graphics chipset is Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650.

We had to roll back some earlier fixes due to a heavy performance penalty some users were seeing. We'll continue to investigate and hope to find a more appropriate fix in time for the 1.2 release.