Information for the Intermediate Shiny workshop

This post is for registered attendees of the Intermediate Shiny Workshop for rstudio::conf 2018.

On behalf of myself, co-instructor Dean Attali, and our TA's Barbara Borges, Winston Chang, and Alan Dipert, thank you for signing up for our course! We look forward to meeting you and helping to get your Shiny skills to the next level!

There are a few things you'll need:

1. A working laptop with wifi
  2. A relatively recent version of R and RStudio
  3. Install the meta-package for the workshop by doing remotes::install_github("jcheng5/ShinyWorkshopDeps") (or (devtools::install_github if that's what you're used to). This will make sure you have all the necessary package dependencies for the workshop--there are quite a few! If you run into any errors installing the dependencies, please post a reply on this thread and we'll help you out.
  4. We'll be doing many exercises together, so you'll need to obtain the workshop materials. If you're familiar with Git, then do git clone https://github.com/jcheng5/shiny-training-rstudioconf-2018. If not, you can download a zip file here: https://github.com/jcheng5/shiny-training-rstudioconf-2018/archive/master.zip

That should do it! If you have any questions or concerns, reply to this thread (recommended), or email joe@rstudio.com.

Thanks, see you soon!

-Joe Cheng

Thanks for the instructions, Joe. The downloads and installation went flawlessly for me.

I notice that the day 1 agenda contains introduction-to-Shiny material. I assumed this was an intermediate level workshop. Did I misunderstand something?

It might be because a number of people learned Shiny via different avenues or haven't used it in a while, so a quick introduction to refresh people and/or get everyone on some equal knowledge.

2 Likes

That's exactly right. It also gives us some time to shake out any bugs in people's configurations.

Ah ah. Good logic. Thanks!

Hi Joe, thanks for the instructions, very much looking forward to this. I have a chromebook and was planning on using RStudio cloud. It seemed to download and install everything just fine; can you think of any reasons why this setup might not work?

Thanks Joe. I'm in the "I'm a little rusty" camp so I appreciate the Intro portion. Really looking forward to taking my Shiny skills to the next level.

See y'all soon, eh!

Tim

1 Like

I've made a few apps that work but involved lots of borrowing code from other people's repos or blogs and not exactly understanding what is going on sometimes but they work!

1 Like

@wwheeler That should be totally fine!

everything ran for me until the end, on package DT: and then this error:

• installing source package ‘DT’ ...
    ** R
    ** inst
    ** preparing package for lazy loading
    Error in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]) :
    namespace ‘htmlwidgets’ 0.9 is being loaded, but >= 1.0 is required
    ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘DT’
  • removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library/DT’
    Error: Command failed (1)

Should I just try installing by itself?

Okay....installed DT with install.packages and it worked there. Should this be fine then??

Thanks! Looking forward to class.

Thanks Joe,

I'm getting the following error during the installation of the digest package:

> remotes::install_github("jcheng5/ShinyWorkshopDeps")
Downloading GitHub repo jcheng5/ShinyWorkshopDeps@master
Downloading GitHub repo rstudio/DT@master
Installing 1 packages: digest
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) : 
  cannot open URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4/digest_0.6.15.tgz'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
  cannot open URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4/digest_0.6.15.tgz': HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available = available,  :
  download of package ‘digest’ failed

When I check the contrib/3.4 directory digest_0.6.14.tgz is there, but not 0.6.15. I'm running the latest version of R (3.4.3) and the latest version of R studio (though I get the same error when trying to install in R outside of RStudio).

Thanks for the assistance.

@dataBeth Sorry but the CRAN version of DT has an issue that will be a little annoying on the first day of class. I'm not sure why htmlwidgets 1.0 is not being installed, can you try install.packages("htmlwidgets"), then try the remotes::install_github("jcheng5/ShinyWorkshopDeps") again?

@rwbenz For some reason, CRAN hasn't published most of the binary flavors for 0.6.15. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/digest/index.html

I don't think it should matter which version is installed, as long as some version is. Can you try install.packages("digest", type="source")? If that works, then try remotes::install_github("jcheng5/ShinyWorkshopDeps") again.

@jcheng thanks for the update. The source install went fine, and installed 0.6.15. Re-running the remotes command completed with errors, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks again!

@jcheng I think that worked.

@wwheeler For what it's worth, I am using the same setup (Chromebook in front of me, RStudio server in AWS). It's always worked flawlessly for me, both for Shiny and non-Shiny development.

Thanks Joe for this. I have also created a few simple apps from borrowed codes but always find it challenging to create a new concept or thinking without codes. Hope this course helps me move past these.

Looking forward.

Hi, at first I couldn't load digest either, then I tried what you shared and it showed up. Could you please help me? I am new to R. Thank you so much.