install.packages : ERROR: failed to lock directory

Hi all. I recently downloaded R onto my work computer but I cannot install any packages. Whenever I try to install a package I get this error message:

Error in install.packages : ERROR: failed to lock directory ‘~\R\win-library\3.6’ for modifying
Try removing ‘~\R\win-library\3.6/00LOCK’
(Note: the ~ is used in place of the file location since I do not know if I should post the full location. The ~ is not displayed in the actual output).

I have already located the 00LOCK folder and deleted it does not work. I have tried running R as an administrator (right-clicking Rstudio and choosing to run as administrator) and I have used the '--no-lock' argument in the install.packages() function: 'install.packages("<package_name>", dependencies=TRUE, INSTALL_opts = c('--no-lock')).

None of the above attempts have worked. What could be problem here? Does it have to do with the fact that I do not have administrator privileges on my computer since it is a work computer?

Can you show the actual location? Is it a network folder?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.