Installing compiled packages into R in Ubuntu 22.04 LT desktop

I recently discovered Dirk Eddelbuettel's r2u system for installing compiled R packages into my Ubuntu 22.04 LT desktop. But something is not set up correctly. Evidently the system is now installing the compiled R packages into /usr/lib/R/site-library rather than into my personal R library. Since update.packages() looks first in my personal R library, it finds an old version and doesn't look further to see if there is a newer version in the site library. As a result, the package is never effectively updated.

.libPaths()
[1] "/home/larry/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.2"
[2] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"
[3] "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
[4] "/usr/lib/R/library"

apt tells me that the updated package is already loaded.

sudo apt install r-cran-bayesplot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
r-cran-bayesplot is already the newest version (1.10.0-1.ca2204.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

The updated package is in the /usr/lib/R/site-library:
ls -dl /usr/lib/R/site-library/bayesplot
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Nov 18 08:30 /usr/lib/R/site-library/bayesplot (the new version)

but not in my local library, which still has the older version:
ls -dl /home/larry/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.2/bayesplot
drwxrwxr-x 7 larry larry 4096 May 4 2022 /home/larry/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.2/bayesplot

Running R 4.2.2 and RStudio RStudio 2022.07.2+576 "Spotted Wakerobin" Release in a VirtualBox client desktop running Ubuntu 22.04 LT.

Thanks in advance to anyone tell me what I have to do to get r2u to install the compiled packages into my local personal library rather than the R site library?
Larry Hunsicker

1 Like

Thank you. I thought it was something I had messed up on my desktop installation (not virtual). I didn’t see it as an issue on Dirk’s GitHub. I’ll post an issue there unless you beat me to it.

I opened an issue on the github home.

Thanks, Technocrat. I was on the road today. Larry

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.