"Invisible" temporary files not opening in TMPDIR statement in .Renviron

I was instructed to enter a TMPDIR in my .Renviron file. I did that, but RStudio still opens or creates temporary files that are detected by Dropbox when working on projects. Is there a way that I can have temporary project files also directed to a specific temporary directory that is NOT the project directory?

I forgot to include the directions by @kevinushey:

See the documentation in ?tempdir . In particular:

By default, tmpdir will be the directory given by tempdir() . This will be a subdirectory of the per-session temporary directory found by the following rule when the R session is started. The environment variables TMPDIR, TMP and TEMPare checked in turn and the first found which points to a writable directory is used: if none succeeds ‘/tmp’ is used. The path should not contain spaces. Note that setting any of these environment variables in the R session has no effect on tempdir() : the per-session temporary directory is created before the interpreter is started.

In other words, you likely need to set the TMPDIR environment variable, and need to set it in a project-specific way. You could accomplish this by setting this in a project-local .Renviron file; e.g.

TMPDIR = /path/to/tmpdir

See ?Startup for more details on how .Renviron works and how those files are read during startup.

I suppose what I am trying to ask is whether I can direct RStudio to direct all temporary, e.g. unsaved, work to a specific, especially non-project specific directory. I tried following Kevin's directions, but those temporary unsaved files are opened in my project directory, not the one assigned by TMPDIR.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sorry for the late response.

I suspect you're referring to the files written to the .Rproj.user folder, where RStudio writes project-specific state. Unfortunately, there isn't currently a mechanism for relocating that folder elsewhere.