issues updating R to 3.5 - reinstall grDevices

I just updated my R version to 3.5.2

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/C/de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] utils    datasets base    

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.3.3   assertthat_0.2.0 tools_3.5.2 

Afterwards I copied R packages manually from

"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library to "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library

I tried to update all packages with

update.packages(ask = FALSE)

unfortunately when I open R Studio now it is blank and it gives me following error message "package 'grDevices' was installed by an R version with different internals. it needs to be reinstalled with this R version"

when trying to install grDevices in the R console (as R Studio is blank) yields this:

> install.packages("grDevices", version='3.5.2')
--- Bitte einen CRAN Spiegel für diese Sitzung auswählen ---
Warnmeldungen:
1: Paket ‘grDevices’ ist nicht verfügbar (for R version 3.5.2) 
2: package ‘grDevices’ is a base package, and should not be updated

How do I update grDevices or what can I do?

If you are updating from R < 3.5, then you can't just copy your library folder, you have to reinstall your libraries.
Try uninstalling R, deleting your library folder and reinstalling R, then you would have to install your libraries again under R 3.5.2

thanks for the quick reply!

Just deinstalled and deleted everything with
rm -rf /Applications/R.app
sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
sudo rm /usr/bin/{R,Rscript}

I downloaded R from the webpage and unzipped R-3.5.2.tar.gz into my download folder. What is the easiest form to install this now?

I'm not a Mac user but you are supposed to download the binary file and follow this steps

To Install R

• Open an internet browser and go to www.r-project.org.
  • Click the "download R" link in the middle of the page under "Getting Started."
  • Select a CRAN location (a mirror site) and click the corresponding link.
  • Click on the "Download R for (Mac) OS X" link at the top of the page.
  • Click on the file containing the latest version of R under "Files."
  • Save the .pkg file, double-click it to open, and follow the installation instructions.

OK that was a bit stupid from me.

Thanks - works perfectly!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.