Issues with data structure? Warning: Error in : Invalid input: date_trans works with objects of class Date only

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and assist me.

I am currently creating a R Shiny dashboard for a sports team that will track variables such as player weight over time. So far, I have been successful in manipulating the data and creating plot outputs. However, recently I have written code that is meant to enhance my ggplots and do the following:

1. Calculate the mean and standard deviation of the weight of all athletes on the team
    1. Create colored background of the ggplot so that the client can easily visualize where a given player’s weight fits within the distribution of the team’s weight distribution (see the attached figure).

My issue is that if I read the data into R with read_csv the vast majority of my code works however, I get an error (below) that is associated with “rect” section of the ggplot.

“Warning: Error in : Invalid input: date_trans works with objects of class Date only”

Alternatively, I could read the data into R with read.csv which can successfully produce my goal figure with the appropriate backgrounds (as seen in the above figure). However, this produces a variety of other errors which previously did not exist in the code (below). As you can see all of these errors seem to be date related.

“Warning: Error in : Problem with mutate() input Date.
x subscript out of bounds”

“Input Date is ceiling_date(Date, unit = "weeks").”

“Warning: Error in : Can't subset columns that don't exist.
x Column Practice_Duration(Avg_min) doesn't exist.”

“Warning: Error in : Problem with mutate() input Date.
x subscript out of bounds”

“Input Date is ceiling_date(Date, unit = "weeks").”

I will provide a version of my code that is as simplified as possible! Sorry if there are any issues with the reproducibility of my example. This is such a broad issue I am having that is difficult to know which sections of code I should and should not include. I gladly will implement your feedback to improve this question!

Here is a sample data frame which normally would be read in via csv.

'''

Playername <- c("Athelte 1","Athlete 2","Athlete 3", "Athlete 4","Athelte 1","Athlete 4", "Athlete 3", "Athelte 1", "Athlete 3","Athlete 4","Athlete 2","Athelte 1","Athlete 4","Athelte 1")
 Date <- c("2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-02-02","2021-02-08")
 Team <- c("Team 2", "Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2")
 Weight <- c("65.7","94.2","83.3","85.4","93.8","84.3","83.4","65.6","82.4","83.8","91.9","66.3","85","65.2")

Trainingdata <- data.frame(Playername, Date, Team, Weight)

'''

My code is below:

'''

library (dplyr, warn.conflicts = FALSE)
 library(shiny)
 library(shinythemes)
 library (shinydashboard)
 library(ggplot2)
 library(readr)
 library(plotly)
 library (shinyWidgets)
 library(tidyverse)
 library(tsibble)
 library(lubridate)
 library(shinycssloaders)

# READ IN ONE OF THE BELOWED COMMENTS: (ISSUES DESCRIBED IN FORUM QUESTION)

# in_path_file <- "user data path/Exampe_Trainingdata2.csv"
 # Trainingdata <-read.csv(in_path_file, header=TRUE, sep = ",",na.strings = "NA", nrows = -100,      fileEncoding="UTF-8-BOM")

#Trainingdata <- read_csv("Example_Trainingdata2.csv",
  #                         col_types = cols(Date = col_date (format = "%Y-%m-%d")))

## Dashboard details (UI)

ui <-navbarPage(title=title, 

tabPanel(title = "Home",icon= icon("Home"),
                     fluidPage(
                       fluidRow(
                         valueBoxOutput("valuebox1", width = 3),
                         valueBoxOutput("valuebox2", width =3), 
                         valueBoxOutput("valuebox3", width =3)
                       ), #close fluid Row

fluidRow(column(3,
                                       h4("Filter Data", align = "center"),
                                       box(collapsible = FALSE, 
                                           width= 12, 
                                           dateRangeInput("daterange", "Select Date Range",
                                                          start = "2021-01-01",
                                                          end = Sys.Date(),
                                                          min = "2021-01-01",
                                                          max = Sys.Date(),
                                                          format = "yyyy/mm/dd",
                                                          separator = "-"),
                                           checkboxGroupInput("Teaminput", "Select Team", c("Team 1", "Team 2"), selected ="Team 1"),
                                           selectInput( "Category", "Select Category", c("Overview", "Position", "Age", "Player")),
                                           uiOutput('outputfilter'))
                       ),#closes column

column(6,
                              box(width=12,
                                  plotlyOutput(outputId = "plot1", height = "400px") %>% withSpinner(type = 1, color = "#B62B34"))
                       )), #closes column, closes fluid row

fluidRow(
                         column (6, 
                                 plotlyOutput(outputId = "plot2", height = "400px")
                         ), 
                         column(6, 
                                plotlyOutput(outputId = "plot3", height = "400px")

)), #closes column, closes fluid row

), #closes fluidPage

), #closes HOME Panel

) # closes Navbar Body and NAVBAR Page

server <- function(session, input, output) {

#TabPanel 1 (Home) Dynamic Filtering System
   observeEvent(input$Category,{
     categoryfilterinput<- paste(input$Category)
     output$outputfilter <- renderUI({
       switch(categoryfilterinput,
              "Position" = selectInput("positioninput", "Select Position", choices = c("Forward","Defence", "Goalie")),
              "Age" = selectInput("ageinput", "Select Age Range", choices = c("<20","20-23", "23-25", "25-30", ">30")),
              "Player" = selectInput("Playernameinput", "Select Player", choices = unique(Trainingdata$Playername)))
     })    
   })   

#prevents app closing when neither team is selected
   observe({
     if (is.null(input$Teaminput)){return ()}
     else {updateSelectInput(session, "Playernameinput", "Select Player", choices = Roster %>% filter(Team %in% input$Teaminput) %>% select(Playername))
     }
     })

#TabPanel 1 (Home) plots

output$plot1 <- renderPlotly({

#filters inputed date and team 
df_filtered <- filter(Trainingdata, Date >= format(input$daterange[1]) & Date <= format(input$daterange[2])) %>% 
  filter(Team %in% input$Teaminput)

# Assist code for background color in ggplot 
team_only_filtered <- filter(Trainingdata, Team %in% input$Teaminput)

mean_weight=mean(as.numeric(final_data1$Weight), na.rm = TRUE)

sd_weight=sd(as.numeric(final_data1$Weight), na.rm = TRUE)

upper_1=mean_weight+sd_weight
upper_2=mean_weight+sd_weight*2
upper_3=mean_weight+sd_weight*3
lower_1=mean_weight-sd_weight
lower_2=mean_weight-sd_weight*2
lower_3=mean_weight-sd_weight*3

measure_date <- as.factor(df_filtered$Date)
count_x=n_distinct(measure_date)
x_length=count_x+1

# IF statments for Category inputs 
if (input$Category == "Overview") {
  df_filtered1 <- df_filtered %>% 
    mutate(Date = ceiling_date(Date, unit = "weeks")) %>%
    group_by(Date) %>% 
    summarise(across(where(is.numeric), mean, rm.na = TRUE))
}
if (input$Category == "Player") {
  df_filtered1 <- df_filtered %>% 
    filter(Playername %in% input$Playernameinput) 

}

ggplotly(
  ggplot(df_filtered1, aes(x= Date, y= Weight)) +
    geom_point(size=1.25)+
    geom_line(color = "Red")+
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(mean_weight) , ymax=c(upper_1), alpha=0.2, fill="green") +
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(mean_weight) , ymax=c(lower_1), alpha=0.2, fill="green") +
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(upper_1) , ymax=c(upper_2), alpha=0.2, fill="yellow") +
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(lower_1) , ymax=c(lower_2), alpha=0.2, fill="yellow") +
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(upper_2) , ymax=c(upper_3), alpha=0.2, fill="red") +
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(lower_2) , ymax=c(lower_3), alpha=0.2, fill="red") +
    geom_hline(yintercept=mean_weight, color="blue", size=1)+
    annotate("rect", xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ymin=c(lower_1) , ymax=c(upper_1), alpha=0.2, color="blue", fill="red")+

theme_bw()+
    theme(axis.line = element_line(colour = "Black"), 
          axis.text = element_text(size=8), 
          axis.title = element_text(face="bold"),
          axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 45, hjust=1)) + 
    scale_x_date(date_labels = "%b/%d/%y") +
    ylim (72.0, 118.0) +
    ylab("Weight (kg)")
)
   })

} #closes server function

# Run the application 
 shinyApp(ui = ui, server = server)

'''

Thank you for your help and feedback

I suspect that the root of the problem is that read.csv will interpret the file content 2021-01-01 as characters but read_csv will interpret it as a Date.

In you ggplot call, you set the rectangle x limits with code like

... xmin=c(0), xmax=c(x_length), ...

but c(0) and c(x_length) are integers, not Dates. Try using input$daterange[1] and input$daterange[2] there.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help! This change you recommended partially worked. I no longer have errors associated with this code, however now the color scheme and background has been changed within the figure and there are minor formatting issues (see attached figure). Do you have any insights about this?

Here is a version of your ggplot code that runs outside of shiny. I hard coded some variable values and filtered the data to just plot Athlete 2. The only part of the ggplot code that seems strange is the last annotate() where you fill a rectangle with red that overlaps a region that has already been filled with green. Otherwise, the ggplot code seems to be fine. I suspect, therefore, that the calculation of one of the values like upper_1, lower_1 etc. is not correct but I have not worked through all of your code.

Playername <- c("Athelte 1","Athlete 2","Athlete 3", "Athlete 4","Athelte 1","Athlete 4", "Athlete 3", "Athelte 1", "Athlete 3","Athlete 4","Athlete 2","Athelte 1","Athlete 4","Athelte 1")
Date <- c("2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-01","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-07","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-01-24","2021-02-02","2021-02-08")
Team <- c("Team 2", "Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2","Team 2")
Weight <- c(65.7,94.2,83.3,85.4,93.8,84.3,83.4,65.6,82.4,83.8,91.9,66.3,85,65.2)

Trainingdata <- data.frame(Playername, Date, Team, Weight)
Date1 = as.Date("2021-01-01")
Date2 = as.Date("2021-01-24")
upper_1 <- 93
upper_2 <- 95
upper_3 = 97
lower_1 <- 91
lower_2 <- 89
lower_3 <-  87
mean_weight = 92
df_filtered1 <- filter(Trainingdata, Playername == "Athlete 2")
df_filtered1$Date <- as.Date(df_filtered1$Date)
ggplot(df_filtered1, aes(x= Date, y= Weight)) +
  geom_point(size=1.25)+
  geom_line(color = "Red")+
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(mean_weight) , ymax=c(upper_1), alpha=0.2, fill="green") +
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(mean_weight) , ymax=c(lower_1), alpha=0.2, fill="green") +
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(upper_1) , ymax=c(upper_2), alpha=0.2, fill="yellow") +
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(lower_1) , ymax=c(lower_2), alpha=0.2, fill="yellow") +
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(upper_2) , ymax=c(upper_3), alpha=0.2, fill="red") +
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(lower_2) , ymax=c(lower_3), alpha=0.2, fill="red") +
  geom_hline(yintercept=mean_weight, color="blue", size=1)+
  annotate("rect", xmin=Date1, xmax=Date2, ymin=c(lower_1) , ymax=c(upper_1), alpha=0.2, color="blue", fill="red")+

theme_bw()+
  theme(axis.line = element_line(colour = "Black"), 
        axis.text = element_text(size=8), 
        axis.title = element_text(face="bold"),
        axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 45, hjust=1)) + 
  scale_x_date(date_labels = "%b/%d/%y") +
  ylim (85, 100.0) +
  ylab("Weight (kg)")
)
1 Like

Thank you very much for your time and expertise. This helped a lot, I reviewed the code briefly and found that you were correct in that the extra annotate was not necessary (for some reason previously it was helpful but not anymore).

Thank you once again

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.