Manipulating the theme in ggextension

Hi,

I’m wondering what would be the approach to manipulate the theme inside my Geom extension. I mainly would like to adjust the x_scale and y_scale at the moment. Also, I would like to edit the ticks for instance.

Cheers,
Amir

You should probably take a look at the scales package, which underlies ggplot2.

The scales packages provides the internal scaling infrastructure to ggplot2 and its functions allow users to customize the transformations, breaks, guides and palettes used in visualizations.

The section on Creating your own scales and mutable ranges is likely to be particularly relevant.

Scales got a lot of work, and had a major release this summer, so the post that accompanied that release may also be informative:

1 Like

Thanks! This looks useful indeed, but I'm afraid that's not what I want, or I cannot see how.

I'm mainly wondering how should I incorporate different scaling into a ggproto and ggplot2::Geom object. I can plot the data in the draw_group or draw_frame for instance, but I am not sure where should I implement the theme-related options.

Hey @mrmsdbdl! AFAIK, plot theme options (eg. how axis ticks and labels are rendered) are generally distinct from scale options (which determine how data values are mapped to the axis) and distinct again from a geom's aesthetics. We might be able to help you more if you can be more specific about what you're trying to build :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply @rensa. So, I put an example that sort of demonstrate what I'd like to achieve. Please check my implementation of geom_sand and stat_sand in this GitHub Gist. As you can see, I'm following the standard procedure, and I'd like to write a ggextension where I can draw some custom GeomSegment alongside the points that I'm drawing. So, the following code will produce the shown plot.

df <- data.frame(x = runif(10, 0, 10), y = runif(10, 0, 10))

ggplot(df, aes(x = x, y = y)) +
    geom_sand(hl = 5, vl = 5)

I have a few questions regarding my implementation.

1. Do I follow the right protocol for implementing what I'd like to achieve? In some cases, I'd like to adjust and calculate other lines based on the given data on my stat_sand
  2. What if I would like to change the x and y ranges and limits?
  3. What if I would like to change some parameters like axis.ticks or panel.grid.major.x and panel.grid.minor.x? _These are theme() parameters that I can change easily on ggplot() but I'm not sure how to properly change then in the ggextension.
  4. If I use compute_panel— as I realized sometimes I have more control when using compute_panel — will ggplot be able to apply my geom_* and stat_* on groups or facets?

I've tried to summarize everything, I hope I'm being clear here, if not, please let me know. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to google things but unfortunately, there is not a lot on the internet on developing ggextensions. I read some codes too but I see that everyone has implemented their own hack for each of these problems, and I cannot find examples where people adjust the range and axis.ticks.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Amir.