Missing three of the four panes

Hi guys,

I'm really new to R, so please bear with me. I downloaded and installed R off of Cran and then installed R studio from the R studio website. Upon starting up R, I do not see three of the four panes. I only see the pane labelled 'R console'. I am using windows 8, 64x-bit.

I know the panes are not minimized or pushed off to the side, as can be seen in the screenshot. I also cannot go to 'tools' --> 'pane layout' in my toolbar, as I have seen previously suggested.

How do I create or obtain the other three panes?

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Hi!

You have opened R. Open Rstudio and you will get something like the following:

Cheers!

Anirban

1 Like

Welcome! Mixing up R and RStudio is pretty common for beginners. This link might help:

In addition to that discussion, some things that are helpful to know when keeping all this straight:

• R comes bundled with its own very simple app on some platforms, which is what you opened.
  • “RStudio” is commonly used as a nickname for the RStudio IDE (= integrated development environment, an app that gives you an interface for working with R). The RStudio IDE comes in two forms: RStudio Desktop and RStudio Server. The IDE is the flagship product of the company named “RStudio”.
  • The “RStudio” brand is also used in the names of some of that company’s other related products (e.g., RStudio Connect, RStudio Cloud).
  • This community is a project of RStudio the company!
  • While RStudio the company is a strong supporter of R, it is a completely separate entity from the not for profit foundation that oversees the development of R itself.
3 Likes

Great, thank you so much for helping out a newbie!

1 Like

If your question's been answered, would you mind choosing a solution? (see FAQ below for how) It makes it a bit easier to visually navigate the site and see which questions still need help. :white_check_mark:

Thanks

1 Like