My RStudio show cannot create 'R_TempDir (Windows 10)

What steps did you take to create this error?

1 Like

I launch the RStudio and it showed this

So a caveat that this is really outside of my base of knowledge, but I'll see what I can do. From looking at this and this, it looks like the R_TempDir variable is a global C variable, and it's also used by the tempdir() and tempfile() R functions. So that seems like maybe it's a permissions issue?

I also just found this issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/error-fatal-error-cannot-create-r-tempdir-21ae3934-3d91-f6dd-8752-3b3f7b4dbc40

Are you able to launch RGUI? If so, can you run this snippet? cat("Hello tempdir!", file = tempfile(fileext = ".txt"))

1 Like

I can t run RGui and what is snippet

The snippet tries to write a temp file, but if you can't launch R at all, then you wouldn't be able to run it.

Can you run this from powershell or CMD? "C:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.2\bin\Rscript.exe" -e "tempdir()"

You would need to sub in your own location of Rscript.exe.

And then do you have write permissions on a folder that looks like this? C:\Users\ethan\AppData\Local\Temp

1 Like

I tried it in version 4.1.0

I apologize, the way I wrote that was unclear! The outside quotes are important to include in this case. So what you enter into PS should be this, including all quotes: "C:\Program Files\R\R-4.1.0\bin\Rscript.exe" -e "tempdir()"

Were you able to check if you have access to C:\Users\{your-user-name}\AppData\Local\Temp?

how to check this access

I apologize for not explaining that. Can you navigate to that folder path in file explorer? If so, can you create a new file of any kind in that folder?

Yep I can create new folder in Temp

Well, that's bothersome. What's your output of this in PowerShell?

gci env: | Where-Object { $_.Name -like 'T*MP' }

here it is

Thanks! That TEMP variable looks like a bad path (No slash after the C:). Could you run this in PS and try launching RStudio again?

$env:TEMP = $env:TMP

This will set both variables to the value of TMP, which looks more like a working path.

the same as fatal error

Okay, could you try restarting, run gci env: | Where-Object { $_.Name -like 'T*MP' } to verify that TEMP and TMP are the same, and then launch R? I'll try to think what else might be going on in the meantime.

error again in R

Okay, I did find this thread, which suggests it may be related to insufficient memory:

So you could try setting your TMPDIR variable to something new, like ~/Documents/Temp and then maybe it would work?

how to do it create new variable?

First, create the directory you want to use, for example ~/Documents/Temp. Then run $env:TMPDIR = "~/Documents/Temp". After that, try running R (You may need to restart your machine first)