Need help with making a function

Hey everyone I'm new to Rstudio and I'm taking a class and is stuck trying to make a function that inputs a vector then I have to run some standard test like mean, median, mode and having that come out with a vector as well with the name so mean= 5 and etc.

part2_function <- function(x){
length(x)
sum( is.na(x))
mean(x)
median(x)
max(x)
min(x)
sd(x)
return(x)
}
this is what I have kinda put together so far but super lost still.
Thanks!

A function can only return one thing but that thing can have several components. Think about using a list to store each of your values. For example

MuFunc <- function(x) {
  list(Twice = x * 2, Squared = x^2)
}
2 Likes

I finally got values for calculations, would you know how I would put all those values into one vector?

"mean=3, median=5 and so on?

If all of the calculations produce numbers, you can put them in a vector using the c() function. Just use c() instead of list() in my example above.

1 Like

how can I put words in front of the values. My vector needs to output that the mean=5. I've tried to put "mean=" inside that vector and keep getting errors. Do I need to write it as a different line or inside the vector

Please show your actual code. Also, note the difference between the two vectors in the code below. The first is a named vector of numbers and the second is a vector of characters. I suspect you want a named vector.

VEC <- c(mean = 5, median = 4.5, mode = 6)
VEC
#>   mean median   mode 
#>    5.0    4.5    6.0

VEC2 <- c("mean = 5", "median = 4.5", "mode = 6")
VEC2
#> [1] "mean = 5"     "median = 4.5" "mode = 6"

Created on 2019-10-01 by the reprex package (v0.2.1)

1 Like

part2_function <- function(x){
<- ifelse(is.numeric(x),x,"Error: must be a numeric vector") #to make sure a string gives an error. not sure what to put in front of the vector
c (length(x), sum( is.na(x)), mean(x), median(x), max(x), min(x), sd(x))

}
currently my code.

I need my results to come out like this
c(n=33, numberNA=5, mean=5, median=4, max=10, min=1, stdev=3)

I am given a random vector of data that will go through this code, then from their the data will have to look like the line I provided, if that helps

Please have a look to our homework policy, homework inspired questions are welcome but they should not include verbatim instructions from your course.

my bad, I deleted it!

Given you are newer to R and asking this question in the context of a class, I think it would be
valuable to you to point out a resource like the functions chapter of r4ds, 19 Functions | R for Data Science, and ask you to review it.

Looks like you are struggling on what kind of return value you want your function to give.
You want to return the top vector, but name each of those values. In the bottom vector, you named a bunch of the values.
Looks like you just need to connect the dots there, e.g. you can return something like

c(length = length(x), sum = sum((is.na(x)), ..., )

Hi you can create a function like this, which return a list with all you need
name.function <- function(x) {
list.return <- list(length = length(x), sum = sum(is.na(x)), mean = mean(x), median = median(x), max = max(x), min = min(x), sd = sd(x))
return(list.return)
}
tmp <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
res <- name.function(tmp)
res
$length
[1] 5

$sum
[1] 0

$mean
[1] 3

$median
[1] 3

$max
[1] 5

$min
[1] 1

$sd
[1] 1.581139

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.