New Column based on multiple groups of character values

Hello!

I have a data set with lots of character categories. I am trying to create a new character column based on groupings of character values from one of the columns.

In the example code below I am trying to group different character values in the " Food Types" column into a new column called "Food Category" with an appropriate character category.

For example "broccoli", "grapes", "apple bananas" are all to have an associated "Food Category" label of "fruit and veg" while "coke (diet)" and "juice" will have a Food Category label of "beverage choices" and so on.

I tried using case_when below and it DOES NOT work because I'm using character strings. How can I group these variables in the column "Food Types" to display the appropriate label in a new "Food Category" column.

Thank you!

NOTE: I purposefully made variables and observations to both have spaces in the names as that mirrors the type of data I am working with and the spaces need to be preserved. It also has posed an extra layer of frustration.

`Food types` <- c("candy bar", "pizza pie", "coke (diet)", "broccoli", "grapes", "apple bananas", "juice")
`super market` <-rep(c("WF", "TJ", "Luckies"), each = 7)

d <- cbind(`Food types`, `super market`)

df <- as.data.frame(d)

df %>% mutate("Food Category" =
                     case_when(
                       `Food types` =
                     "candy bar"  ~ "junk food", 
                      `Food types` = 
                       c("coke (diet)", "juice")  ~ "beverage choices"
                        `Food types` = 
                          c("broccoli", "grapes", "apple bananas")  ~ "fruit and veg",
                          `Food types` = 
                          "pizza pie"  ~ "other foods"))

I see a couple of problems beyond the ``Food types` issue.

I thnk you need == not = and I am nod sure bud I don't think `case_when can handle something like c("broccoli", "grapes", "apple bananas") but I am not a regular user.

This heavily modified example runs but may not be anything of use.

dat2 %>% mutate(FoodCategory =(
                case_when(
                  foodtypes ==
                    "candy bar"  ~ "junk food", 
                  foodtypes == 
                    "coke (diet)" ~ "beverage choices",
                  foodtypes ==
                      "juice"  ~ "beverage choices",
                foodtypes ==
                    "broccoli" ~ "fruit and veg",
                foodtypes ==
                      "grapes" ~ "fruit and veg",
                foodtypes ==
                      "bananas"  ~ "fruit and veg",
                foodtypes ==
                    "pizza pie"  ~ "other foods")))
1 Like

That worked PERFECTLY! Even with the `` on column names with spaces. Thank you SO much!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.