Overlay a ggplot with an image and apply CSS effects

Perhaps nonsensically, I'd like to overlay a ggplot with an image, and then apply CSS effects to that image. I can think of two possible approaches:

1. Create an htmlwidget that saves the plot to a PNG, overlay the PNG with JS, and apply a CSS class to the image.
  2. Maybe the magick package? I'm not an expert in its inner workings.

Is either option feasible? If not, is there a third way?

Hi,

Could you elaborate on what the purpose of the end result would be and give an example or two. Also, would this be implemented in Shiny?

Please provide a Reprex if possible

Good luck!
PJ

1 Like

Nothing would give me greater joy than producing a reprex, but I do not know how to get there. I know one can render PNG and JPG files within the htmlwidgets framework, and then I suppose hypothetically style the image with included CSS, but is that is the best approach? The magick package might be a better alternative, but I do not have much experience with that package.

My plan was to add various effects to an image of a plot--shimmers, sparkles, glitters, shadows, distortions, etc. Fingers crossed that it would scale to Shiny.

Hi,

Unfortunately I also don't have experience with the Magick package...
Af far as I understand, Shiny does create an image from a normal (non interactive) plot or ggplot. So you should be able to get its CSS tags and then modify it. I still don't fully understand the intent is here, so would it be possible to show what you want with just a regular png image and then later we can worry about the plot?

Grtz,
PJ

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.