Package updates fail after staged.install on university desktop

Since update to R 4.2.0, I have had problems on my university Windows 10 desktop updating from source packages that use staged. install. They all seem to compile correctly, but fail on testing whether the library can be accessed from final location. I had this same problem previously. (See Update of packages OpenMx and maptools fail)
For example, when I try to update the package openssl from source, the compilation goes normally, but the installation ends with:

installing to R:/Home/R/library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/x64
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
Warning in library(pkg_name, lib.loc = lib, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE) :
there is no package called 'openssl'
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed

• removing 'R:/Home/R/library/4.2/openssl'
  • restoring previous 'R:/Home/R/library/4.2/openssl'
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘openssl’ had non-zero exit status

So the failure occurs at the step where the system tries to copy the updated package from the "temporary location" to the "final location." This has to be a permissions problem. The updates all go without problems on my home laptop, where I have supervisor status. Further, I can copy the package directory from my home computer to my university virtual desktop personal R library, and the updated packages all work correctly. Of course, I do have complete control of the university directory holding my private R library. So the problem has to be that on the university desktop I don't have read or copy access to the "temporary location." I am sure that the SysOp would be willing to give me the appropriate rights to the "temporary location" if I could tell him where it is.
Note that this problem seems to happen only with packages that use staged installation. Installation of compiled packages goes without any problem, and packages that don't use staged.installation install correctly.
Can anyone tell me where the "temporary location" sandbox is? Or is there a special RStudio user that needs to have permission to copy from the "temporary location"?
Thanks to anyone that can help me with this issue.
Larry Hunsicker

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.