Performance Problems with Keras and Tensorflow (+GPU support)

I follow the Book Deep Learning with R from Chollet and Allaire (Manning Publication).
page 59-69 Internet Movie Dataset

PC-components: i9-9820 CPU with 10(20) Kernels, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080ti, Win10.

I installed keras with gpu support:
library(keras)
install_keras(tensorflow = "gpu")

All works fine!

I build the examples with the internet movie database "imdb". I prepare the data, build the model, train and validate (fit) it. All works as expected. The program runs fast.

In the next step I repeat the procedure with the test data. Now I build the model, train the data (fit) with reduced epochs (comes from validation step) and evaluate the test data.

Here it happens:
The evaluation of the test data need a long time. The same happens when I predict the first 10 test data. It also takes about one minute. The same happens with simple assignments:

z <- test_data[1:10, ]

The resource of my computer where only sparsely used. Why?

It seems - that after running the second model (fit) the RStudio session works not optimal.

I try two separated programs. The first one use only model1 and the second model2. I started each program in a new RStudio-Session. Surprise: Both programs works now with the same speed. Only the evaluate procedure from model2 was still slow.

Any Idea?

Helmut Grillenberger
Statistician and Data Scientist

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.