Plotting Series from csv file

Hi, I am trying to plot a time series from an excel spreadsheet using the code:

plot(number_of_births~birth.data$date, type = "1",
main='Daily total female births in califorina, 1959',
ylab = 'Number of births', xlab='Date')

When I run the code, I get the error "Error in (function (formula, data = NULL, subset = NULL, na.action = na.fail, : invalid type (NULL) for variable ' number of births". Does anyone know what is going wrong? I have included all of my code below:

library(astsa)

set working directory for the folder we will be working with, sets what folder we pull the excel file from

setwd("C:/Users/muirb/OneDrive/Documents/Coursera Time Series Analysis")

read in the datafile

#read.csv("daily-total-female-births-in-cal.csv")

#read data to R variable
birth.data<-read.csv("daily-total-female-births-in-cal.csv")

pull out number of births column

number_of_births<-birth.data$Daily.total.female.births.in.california..1959

use date format for dates

birth.data$date<-as.Date(birth.data$date, "%m/%d/%Y")

plot the series

plot(number_of_births~birth.data$date, type = "1",

All of the code works up until the last three lines where I try to plot the time series. Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Check the value of your number_of_births variable. It seems it is NULL.

Also assuming this is a base plot type = "1" probably should be type = "l".

Is this the file whose first 6 rows are:

"Date","Births"
"1959-01-01",35
"1959-01-02",32
"1959-01-03",30
"1959-01-04",31
"1959-01-05",44
"1959-01-06",29

If so, the following works for me:

library(readxl)
df <- read_excel("C:/mypath/Daily_Birth_Rates_Spreadsheet.xlsx")
plot(df, main = "Daily birth rates", col = "blue")

Thanks, everyone. I am new to R and not really sure what I am doing yet at this point. I currently have the following code:

library(astsa)

read data to the R variable

pull out number of births column

use date format for dates

birth.data$Date<-as.Date(birth.data$Date, "%m/%d/%Y")

I was able to read the data to the R variable and pull out the births column with no errors, however, when I run the line of code "birth.data$Date<-as.Date(birth.data$Date, "%m/%d/%Y")", I get an error stating that there is an "Error in $<-.data.frame(*tmp*, Date, value = numeric(0)) : replacement has 0 rows, data has 365". Does anyone know what is going on here? Thanks

CSV

Here is a photo of my raw csv file if this helps

From the screenshot of your csv file I can see that your variable is called date not Date (R is case sensitive), also, the dates are already in the ISO standard format Y-m-d (the only one R uses for dates) so you shouldn't try to parse it with a different format (i. e. "%m/%d/%Y").

If you need more specific help, please provide a proper REPRoducible EXample (reprex) illustrating your issue.

Thank you,

I was able to get past the line of code trying to parse out the the dates in a M/D/Y format, however, when I try to plot the series, I get the Error "Error in eval(M$data, eframe) : object 'type' not found. Does anyone know what is wrong here?
R Studio Screenshot.png

Please do not post screenshots, they are considered a bad practice here, post formatted code instead. Here is how to do it

And, as I said before. If you need more specific help, please provide a proper REPRoducible EXample (reprex) illustrating your issue.

Yes, those first 6 rows are correct, and your plot looks like what I am trying to obtain. How did you obtain that plot? When I run the code:

library(readxl)
df <- read_excel("C:\Users\muirb\OneDrive\Desktop\Coursera Time Series Analyses Course")
plot(df,main="Daily birth rates", col="blue")

I get errors stating that "'\U' used without hex digits in character string starting ""C:\U", and "Error in x(x) : argument "df1" is missing with no default. Does anyone know why this isn't working for me?

For whatever reason, my file is an Excel file and note the .xlsx in the file name. If your file is a csv file, go back to

read.csv("filename.csv")

I have two files, both a csv and an Excel file, I can read either file into R, whatever would work. Here is the following code that I have:

library(astsa)

# set working directory for the folder we will be working with, sets what folder we pull the csv file from 
setwd("C:/Users/muirb/OneDrive/Documents/Coursera Time Series Analysis")

# read in the datafile
#library(readxl)

#read data to R variable 

# pull out number of births column

# use date format for dates
birth.data$Date<-as.Date(birth.data$Date, "%m/%d/%Y")

# plot the series 
plot(number_of_births~birth.data$Date, type = "1", 

All of the lines of code up until the line: birth.data$Date<-as.Date(birth.data$Date, "%m/%d/%Y") run, after which I get the error "Error in $<-.data.frame(*tmp*, Date, value = numeric(0)) :
replacement has 0 rows, data has 365".

Likewise, when I try plotting the series using the code: plot(number_of_births~birth.data$Date, type = "1",
main='Daily total female births in califorina, 1959', ylab = 'Number of births', xlab='Date'), I get the error "Error in (function (formula, data = NULL, subset = NULL, na.action = na.fail, : invalid type (NULL) for variable 'number_of_births".

Do you know how to correct these errors. I am a new R user trying to figure things out. Thanks.

Can you post the raw content of your csv file to use as sample data? Just copy paste the text inside it as is.

Yes, here is the raw content of my csv file. I have included the first 6 records, however, there are 365 records in the file. I just didn't want to post them all and create an unnecessarily long post.

date,births
1959-01-01,35
1959-01-02,32
1959-01-03,30
1959-01-04,31
1959-01-05,44
1959-01-06,29

Ok, I think I already explained these things to you but I'm going to give it another try.

Your csv file only has two columns, "date" and "births", there is no column called "Daily.total.female.births.in.california..1959". You can't extract a column that doesn't exist so this line fails.

The column in your data is called date not Date (R is case sensitive) and it is already in the proper format so you don't need to specify a parsing date format.

I think you actually mean type = "l" which stands for "line".

Having all this things into consideration, you can get the desired plot

birth.data <- read.csv("daily-total-female-births-in-cal.csv")

birth.data$date <- as.Date(birth.data$date)

plot(birth.data$births ~ birth.data$date, type = "l", 

Created on 2023-01-11 with reprex v2.0.2

Great, thank you so much. That works.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.