Problem connecting to pandoc: Error 1

Hi everyone, I hope all is going well under these unprecedented conditions! I have issues with Rstudio and always resolve them on my own. This one is pernicious: No matter what I do with Rmarkdown and R notebook, there seems to be an issue with the pathway to pandoc. I have tried using the Rstudio that houses a pandoc, downloading pandoc on my own, reinstalling updated packages, getting rmarkdown from github (through devtools), and so on. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and this is another thing it says: pandoc.exe: \: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory). But I do have the pandoc in my folder: \Work Documents\R\win-library\4.0\rmarkdown\rmd\h\pandoc

If you want to check that Pandoc is correctly found by rmarkdown, you can run

rmarkdown::find_pandoc()

This will tell which Pandoc will be used and which version. Pandoc is shipped with RStudio so there should be not issue with Pandoc installation itself.

This error could happen if some files is not found by Pandoc when doing the conversion. This could happen on Network drive, in some weird situation when doing parallelize rendering or when there is something of with one of the resource file. (images, ...)

This is highly dependent on your special situation. Can you share content of the document ?

Just a precision: This folder is not containing Pandoc binaries, but just rmarkdown resources related to Pandoc use. Pandoc is installed with RStudio and not rmarkdown. You can also install it yourself on your system if needed.

Thanks for the quick reply. Funny, because my shiny is working (will use that) and this is the response:

rmarkdown::find_pandoc()
$version
[1] ‘2.11.4’

$dir
[1] "C:/Program Files/RStudio/bin/pandoc"

I will have to try again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.