Problem installing package "glue": Compilation failed/non-zero exit status

Hi, I can't install the "glue" package (which I need to install "dplyr"), R tell me that the compilation failed and something about a non-zero exit status. Sorry I'm super rookie on R and programming

> install.packages("glue")
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/emanu/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.6’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

There is a binary version available but the source version is later:
     binary source needs_compilation
glue  1.3.1  1.3.2              TRUE

installing the source package ‘glue’

probando la URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/glue_1.3.2.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 97667 bytes (95 KB)
downloaded 95 KB

* installing *source* package 'glue' ...
** package 'glue' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs

*** arch - i386
C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.3/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-36~1.3/include" -DNDEBUG          -O3 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=core2 -c glue.c -o glue.o
sh: C:/Program: No such file or directory
make: *** [C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-36~1.3/etc/i386/Makeconf:208: glue.o] Error 127
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'glue'
* removing 'C:/Users/emanu/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/glue'
* restoring previous 'C:/Users/emanu/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/glue'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘glue’ had non-zero exit status

Hi, and welcome!

For future coding-related questions, please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers. This question doesn't require one.

It looks like you're missing RTools. See this link

1 Like

The problem is happening with 32 bit R, maybe you don't have an Rtools installation of matching architecture, do you have any particular reason for using the 32 bit version, I also use to have installation problems with it so I decided to only install the 64 bit version.

2 Likes

I have a guess that it's because you installed RTools in program files, which have space in path. Try install it again to just c:\RTools

2 Likes

emajuan, I had the same problem (and I was using 64bit R). My version of RTools was dated (3.2) and when I uninstalled it and installed RTools 3.5 it worked.

2 Likes

Got it, thank you all for the answers

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.