R^2 of regressed line fitted through origin

Hi All,

It seems that R is giving the wrong R^2 while regression line fitted through the origin. I have used the attached data.
It is giving R^2=0.98 of the line fitted through the origin but I have verified using excel and other software, it should be 0.72.

R code:

lmfit2 <- lm( y ~ x-1 , data = datafm)
summary(lmfit2)

Thanks
Chandan

Hi there! In order to help you more, we need you to make a Reproducible Example, or reprex for short. You can learn more about making one here:

In particular, to figure out why you're getting different results between R and other software, we need access to the data frame you're working with, datafm. You might also want to check out this post on prepping your data for a reprex:

Roughly when you regress without the constant the lm() model reports something else instead of the R-squared (changes what it reports). I have some notes here http://www.win-vector.com/blog/2017/06/an-easy-way-to-accidentally-inflate-reported-r-squared-in-linear-regression-models/ . The fix is to compute your own correct R-squared outside of the model. (yes one can try an argue what is being computed is or is not whatever, but it isn't the same metric computed in other circumstances)

Hi JohnMount, I think you are right. I have tried lm( y ~ 0 + x , data = datafm), still the R^2 value is same.