R ggplot: How to make a graph showing the change of confidence interval over a continuous x variable?

I made a scatter plot by using ggplot2 to show the relationship between human footprint and soil carbon in different habitat types (natural, urban wild, and urban). The human footprint is a continuous variable which indicates human pressure on the nature. Higher footprint value means a land is more modified by humans.

Here is the code I used and the plot I have:

library(ggplot2)
SOC$Habitat <- factor(SOC$Habitat, levels = c("Natural", "Urban wild", "Urban")
#reorder the three habitat types

p <- ggplot(SOC, aes(x=Footprint, y=Stocks, shape=Habitat, color=Habitat) +
     geom_point() + 
     geomsmooth(method=lm, aes(fill=Habitat))

p + xlab("Human Footprint") + ylab("SOC Stocks (Mg ha-1)") + theme_classic()

p

Now I want to extract the confidence interval to see how it changes as the human footprint increases under different habitat types. The y variable in the new plot (I assume it can be a line graph) that I want now can be confidence interval range or confidence interval width, and x variable is the human footprint. The new line graph needs to contain three lines, representing each habitat type (natural, urban wild, and urban) with color.

However, I have no idea how to do it. Hope you can help me if you know how to do in ggplot2 or other packages. Thank you very much in advance.

As a starting point, you used geomsmooth(method=lm, aes(fill=Habitat)) to fit an inline model while plotting.
Consider refactoring your code to create a proper lm object, that can be interrogated. Here is an example with R built in data.

library(tidyverse)
#example data
myiris <- iris
my_lm <- lm(Petal.Length ~ Sepal.Length + Species,data=iris)
myiris$lm_pred_val <- predict(my_lm,newdata = myiris,
                              interval =  "confidence"
                              ) %>% as.data.frame()
ggplot(data=myiris,
       aes(x=Sepal.Length,
           y=Petal.Length,
           color=Species,
           fill=Species)) + geom_point()+
  geom_line(aes(y=lm_pred_val$fit)) +
  geom_ribbon(aes(ymin=lm_pred_val$lwr,
                  ymax=lm_pred_val$upr), alpha=.3) +
  ggtitle("Petal Length predicted from Sepal Length over 3 species")

ggplot(data=myiris,
       aes(x=Sepal.Length,
           y=lm_pred_val$upr - lm_pred_val$lwr,
           color=Species,
           fill=Species)) + 
  geom_line() +
        ylab("Confidence Interval Width at .95") + 
  ylim(c(0,1)) +
  ggtitle("Change in Confidence Interval Width by Sepal.Length,\n when predicting Petal Length")

2 Likes

Hi there,

I successfully made it with your kind help! Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.