R not working within RStudio after R update (works with previous ver. of R)

I just updated R to version 4.3.0 (2023-04-21) -- "Already Tomorrow". I am running (Intel) Mac OS 12.6.6 (21G646). R runs fine from Terminal:

R version 4.3.0 (2023-04-21) -- "Already Tomorrow"
Copyright (C) 2023 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)

But when I fire up RStudio [ Version 2023.03.1+446 (2023.03.1+446) ] the R session will not start. I get the following error message:

*** caught segfault ***
address 0x18, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
 2: library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib)
 3: loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]])
 4: asNamespace(ns)
 5: namespaceImportFrom(ns, loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc,     .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]), i[[2L]], from = package)
 6: loadNamespace(x)
 7: (function () reticulate::py_discover_config())()
 8: do.call(callback, data)
An irrecoverable exception occurred. R is aborting now ...

I have restarted R, RStudio and OSX, all to no avail. The happens every time I start up RStudio.

An update: When I shift back to legacy R version 4.2.3 (2023-03-15) -- "Shortstop Beagle", everything works just fine. It is the move to the latest version of R that is causing the problem. R works in Terminal in both cases but breaks in RStudio with the latest release of R.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.