R + Python in IDE: experiences

A while back I asked this question, and since then RStudio have come out with the very promising reticulate package, as well as native support for Python in the IDE, which is fantastic.

I was just wondering what the experiences are like for those out there using Python in the IDE. Would anybody like to share? I, for one, had problems with matplotlib -- I had it installed, I was using the correct version of Python (forced with py_config()), but it wouldn't work. Then, voilá, just started working recently (I'm using the daily builds, perhaps it was something there).

Has anybody had any problems? Any tips?

5 Likes

just tried it in RMarkdown looks amazing but I really miss code completion, is there but i'm missing it?

1 Like

Code completion for Python is coming - you can get it now in the v1.2 preview release of RStudio, or wait until the official 1.2 release is out.

5 Likes

It is fantastic that you can work with python files in the RStudio IDE. Two suggestions I would like to make

• Support for document outline in *.py files. I really like this feature in R scripts
  • Environment browser for python objects
2 Likes

This would be awesome! Once you've grown accustomed to it, inserting sections really helps to keep your code clear.