R Session Aborted Fatal error

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to the latest version of R, been trying to install a few packages for a project.
All instances have shown the below set of error statements. After a while, without any action, the issue was resolved. Now, facing the same problem again.

Action - RStudio -> Packages -> Install -> TimeROC
Result - R session Aborted (R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated.)

Warning in install.packages:
package 'TimeROC' is not available (for R version 3.5.1) (Same error for all packages)

R Version 3.5.1 - Platform x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64 bit)
RStudio Version 1.1.456

Please suggest steps for permanent resolution. Thanks.

Can you install packages through R, but not in RStudio? (see FAQ below for disambiguation)

Hi Mara, Thanks for your feedback. I've changed the topic to General.

Getting this error for all packages can occur when there is a problem with your internet connection. When R fails to reach the repository where it is looking for packages (typically, a CRAN mirror), then it reports this error. The wording is a little confusing, since it makes it sound like the packages don’t exist, when what’s really happening is that R can’t even access the repo to search for them.

So a first step might be to check your internet connection (proxies or filtering software are a common culprit here). However, I’m not sure if that’s the source of the session crash or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.