R studio blank on start up

I'm having trouble starting up R studio, which opens up to a blank screen. This is the first time installing R and R studio on this machine, but I've confirmed that R itself runs fine. I've really exhausted everything I could think of, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Description of issue
R studio appears as blank screen with unresponsive menu bar upon open. When running diagnostics, it hangs on line "Connected to R session, attempting to initialize..."

Attempted steps taken to fix

• deleted %localappdata%\RStudio-Desktop folder to reset configuration files
  • deleted %appdata%\RStudio folder to reset configuration files
  • reinstalled R studio
  • set permissions in R studio and R folders
  • specified the version of R to run on start with ctrl + click
  • specified local host address
  • checked no startup files exist

System Information:

• OS Version: Windows 10
  • R Version: Microsoft Open 3.5.1

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

1 Like

What version of RStudio are you using? If you're currently running RStudio v1.1, you might try the preview release to see if things are improved there.

I gave it a try but no luck there. Thanks though!

I suddenly have the same problem. Windows 10, R 3.5.3

I've tried using control to select the R version and to change the rendering engine but no luck getting rstduio to open properly.

It finally works again after I manually entered the R bin path in desktop.ini at C:\Users\dominikschneider\AppData\Roaming

RBinDir=C:/Program Files/R/R-3.5.3/bin/x64

It had been
RBinDir =
with just blank space afterwards

Hmmm, I went to check the desktop.ini file and it already had the correct RBinDir in there. It was a good thing to check though, thank you.

Something I found that might be related is that the rdesktop.log shows a weird path at near the bottom. My other computer with proper R studio setup has something like "C:\Users\Administrator\rstudio\src\cpp\desktop\DesktopNetworkReply.cpp:288"

The message for this blank session shows after I close the window
############################################################
09 Apr 2019 13:09:28 [rdesktop] ERROR Main window closed unexpectedly; LOGGED FROM: auto __cdecl rstudio::desktop::MainWindow::closeEvent::<lambda_4cc4d0df19b92db780de6d80571f943a>::operator ()(class QVariant) const c:\jenkins\workspace\ide\windows-v1.2\src\cpp\desktop\desktopmainwindow.cpp:281
###########################################################

You might also try holding down the Ctrl key as RStudio starts, and try selecting different versions of R, or a different rendering engine. See https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017886674-Troubleshooting-RStudio-Rendering-Errors for some more details.

I have tried different combinations of R versions and render machines, still no success so far :frowning:

We've had the occasional but rare case where an overaggressive antivirus (or even firewall) can also inhibit RStudio's attempt to launch. If you have something like that active, can you try making sure those are disabled?

1 Like

Seems like antivirus or firewall wasn't the issue, very strange ...

I tried the same troubleshooting as well, and no luck.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.