R-Studio size/positioning changing from screen to screen

When moving R-Studio onto my larger screen, the whole studio gets off-set by this black frame.

As a result, I have to click above everything to click on what I want.

E.g.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
'TO CLICK THIS SENTENCE, I WOULD HAVE TO CLICK ON WHERE THE DOTS ABOVE ARE'

The same goes for 'File', 'Edit' etc, everything within the studio

This is an extended display using the usual 1920 x 1080. On my smaller computer, it works fine.

Please see attached image of my larger screen with black border, this screen is where the issue occurs. It won't let me upload the smaller screen, but it looks normal.

Any help or advice on how to diagnose the issue would be appreciated.

RStudio does unfortunately have some rendering issues with certain hardware configurations -- see https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017886674-Troubleshooting-RStudio-Rendering-Errors for some potential remedies.

1 Like

@kevinushey thanks!

The following worked (windows):

Note that launching RStudio in this way will only disable GPU rendering for that particular RStudio session (that is, only for RStudio sessions that see that environment variable active). If you'd like to make this change more permanently, you can directly modify RStudio Desktop's options file. The option file is located at:

macOS

$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.rstudio.desktop.plist

Linux

~/.config/RStudio/desktop.info # $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/RStudio/desktop.ini

Windows

%APPDATA%\Roaming\RStudio\desktop.ini

In each case, you can modify the entry called desktop.renderingEngine and set it to software to force software rendering. For example:

[General]
desktop.renderingEngine=software

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.