R Style Guide -- Explicit return, or not?

Hey all,

This is a bit of a more general question:

In the Tidyverse R Style Guide, it is suggested that, when writing functions, we only use return() for exiting the function early, but in general we should be relying on R to return the result of the last evaluated expression.

In the Google R Style Guide, it is suggested that returns from functions should always be explicit.

What is the tidyverse argument for not explicitly using return()? I recognize that R is special (unlike, say, Python) and we don't have to explicitly return...but what is the cost? I feel like explicitly returning the result would follow the general tidyverse themes of being as clear as possible.

1 Like

I don't have an answer, but to give you an example where explicit return is cumbersome, I often have functions that have something like this:

some_func <- function(df){
  df %>%
     fun1() %>%
     fun2() %>%
     fun3()
}

In this case I would need to create a temp variable and then use return on it, but (personally) it would look more busy than it should/could.

3 Likes

I can see that situation as not needing a return.

I am thinking about a situation where I have to print the object anyway -- for example:

some_func <- function(df, new_names) {
  names(df) <- new_names

df
}

vs.

some_func <- function(df, new_names) {
  names(df) <- new_names

return(df)
}

To me, the second function seems much clearer - so I'm surprised that the style guide would tell me not to -- but maybe I am just weird :stuck_out_tongue:. I do see why preferring return would be cumbersome when the end of a function is primarily one long chain of %>%s

(and yes, I am aware of set_names() that does my some_func already :smile:)

3 Likes

I'd say one argument for not using return() is that it better convey the property of a functional programming language (which R is). If you have a mathematical function f defined as:

f(x) = x^2

you can define this in R as:

f <- function(x) x^2

We don't really think about mathematical functions as they return something, or even that they perform a sequence of calculations or has side effects. Instead, functions take on a value for a given input. Functional programming languages attempt to "emulate" this mental model as far as possible but, of course, if you ask for the value there will be a sequence of calculations taking place internally but the idea is that you should not have think about that.

BTW, this is probably also why the R help format (Rd) uses \value{...} to describe the value of an R function - it does not use \return{...} (though roxygen2 hides this via its @return ... tag). The term 'return' is more common for procedural programming languages.

7 Likes

I have been wondering about this question also for some time. I know there is also personal opinions regarding what adds clarity (do_something() vs doSomething(), very personal and arguable on each side) and what is a mess (Try.To_Makesomething()). Reading different style guides have enlighten me a lot on how to write code, but this thing of not recommending using return have always intrigued me. I do use it a lot, as I often want to explicitly return or not when my functions include making plots, which as of late are most of them (i.e. return vs invisible).
Each time I look backwards to some code wrote barely a few months ago I always scream of how bad I did. Either by syntax or by design.
Cheers

1 Like

This should work, with no need for temporary creation:

some_func <- function(df){
  df %>%
     fun1() %>%
     fun2() %>%
     fun3() %>%
     return()
}
2 Likes

A purely functional language only has its state stored in the arguments of functions, which in most cases means that the order of execution of a function body is irrelevant - the exceptions generally being where something timey is involved, e.g. input from a mouse click.

R is not such a language; it has a concept of a global state, and an order of operations. R functions can be represented in a functional way, but they don't have to be. It looks like what AJF is arguing for is that where multiple statements exist in the function body, an explicit return is a good idea. This is especially the case where the code needs to go out of its way to [re]state the return value.

If the last evaluated expression is the only evaluated expression, then an explicit return is not needed because there's no ambiguity about what gets sent back.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.