Random Characters Inserted with Ctrl-Alt-R

Around 10-15% of the time when I run the R code in RStudio using the Ctrl-Alt-R keyboard shortcut it will insert a random character (I think wherever the cursor happens to be.) It doesn't happen repeatedly or by any pattern I can figure out, but it is always a non-standard character (i.e. not the normal a-zA-Z0-9 etc. - it will always be some kind of symbol.) As a result, the next time I run the code it will cause an error that will sometimes be a major job to find, because it is just one character added somewhere randomly. I've been using RStudio pretty much since release and this has only started happening in the last year or so. I've just been living with it, but it's starting to get to me :slight_smile: , so wondering if anyone else has come up against this and found a solution.

Welcome to the RStudio Community! We're glad you're here. :slightly_smiling_face:

That sounds very frustrating! I had a similar issue in Microsoft Excel a couple years ago, where Alt + Page Down would insert a heart shape in whatever cell I had selected. Very annoying! I hope there's another way around it, but the only thing that fixed it for me was when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. :frowning: I think it just had something to do with the interaction of my keyboard/computer/OS. Sorry it's not much of a solution, but that's my experience. Hope you find an answer!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.