status Under development (unstable)
major 3
minor 5.0
year 2017
month 04
day 10
svn rev 72501
language R
version.string R Under development (unstable) (2017-04-10 r72501)
nickname Unsuffered Consequences

and want to play with Rcpp:

install.packages("Rcpp")
trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.5/Rcpp_0.12.17.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 4560707 bytes (4.3 MB)
==================================================
downloaded 4.3 MB

The downloaded binary packages are in
/var/folders/l6/s467rzgs75n91gdbkn7vr0f40000gn/T//Rtmpyoo16S/downloaded_packages

library(Rcpp)
Error: package ‘Rcpp’ was installed by an R version with different internals; it needs to be reinstalled for use with this R version

I see there's some discussion of this topic, but even after reading those posts, it's unclear how to resolve it.

I'm hoping whatever solution(s) are suggested will help educate me in R.

thanks, Randy

You probably installed Rcpp with earlier version of R (e.g., 3.4.4). With major updates (second number to go up, so 3.4.4 -> 3.5.0) all packages should be reinstalled since, as you can see from the error, a lot of things changed internally.

So your course of action is as simple as delete all packages and reinstall them once again.

Also, where did you get 3.5.0 version? From the output of version you are now using unstable branch. You should probably install official 3.5.0 release that happened in April this year.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I honestly hadn't noticed the "unstable"; I simply saw 3 and 5.0. Duh. Anyway, I've downloaded the stable R-3.5.0.pkg from https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/ and can now successfully load Rcpp. I'm off & running... until my next question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used this command to find all the packages that were built with 3.4:

grep 'Built: R 3.4' /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/*/DESCRIPTION > temp

Then I could go ahead and delete them and reinstall them.