Read characters with grep

I have this character

I would like to use the Grep function, or something like that, to make me return specific parts.
I explain myself. I would like to write a function that would return everything before the first slash "/".
then another line in which is returned what is between the first "/" and the second "/".

to be clear,
it should return,
in the first case "101".
in the second case "Testler Export"

0 Likes

I think you want to do something like this

string <- "101/Testler Export/somthing/shomething else.txt"
strsplit(string, "/")[[1]][1:2]
#> [1] "101"            "Testler Export"

Created on 2019-02-09 by the reprex package (v0.2.1)

For future posts please ask your questions with a REPRoducible EXample (reprex). A reprex makes it much easier for others to understand your issue and figure out how to help.

If you've never heard of a reprex before, you might want to start by reading this FAQ:

2 Likes

sorry, i'm new in this community. i'm a beginner whith R, can you tell me what this command mean

[[1]][1:2]

I understood how to use them, but to understand more fully their meaning. also you could advise me, where I can learn this syntax of R. for example, I refer to the use that you made of square brackets, etc ..
Sorry in advance if I made mistakes on how to publish on the site

0 Likes

Those commands are for subsetting lists and vectors, this section of the free online book "R Programming for Data Science" explains this very well.

1 Like

strsplit(string, '/') returns a list, of the same length as string itself (in this case 1).

So, here [[1]] returns the first element of that list, which is a vector c( '101', 'Testler Export', 'somthing', 'shomething else.txt')

Finally, [1:2] returns the first two elements of that vector, i.e. c('101', 'Testler Export').

string <- '101/Testler Export/somthing/shomething else.txt'

(split <- strsplit(x = string,
                  split = '/'))
#> [[1]]
#> [1] "101"                 "Testler Export"      "somthing"           
#> [4] "shomething else.txt"

(split_1 <- split[[1]])
#> [1] "101"                 "Testler Export"      "somthing"           
#> [4] "shomething else.txt"

(split_1_1n2 <- split_1[1:2])
#> [1] "101"            "Testler Export"
2 Likes

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

0 Likes