Rendering hangs unpredictably in RStudio desktop on Mac

When I knit a document, sometimes it will hang on the third or fourth code chunk, continually spinning but never finishing. I can stop the rendering, but once that has happened rendering won't work anymore, even for other .Rmd files. I've tried restarting R and RStudio, clearing the Knitr cache, but nothing works except completely restarting my computer. Then I can reknit exactly the same file with no changes at all, and it works just fine... for a while... until suddenly it doesn't anymore. The problem does not always occur in the same document. I tried changing the preferences to use software rendering, but that didn't help either, even after restarting the computer and RStudio again.

I have a new 2021 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.2.1. I tried updating R, Rstudio, and all the packages, so I'm running the latest version of everything. Nothing helped.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.