RMySQL issues connecting to sql: also trouble thru terminal

but I am really trying to use R and this is what is happening

conn <- dbConnect(MySQL() , user = 'root' , pwd = 'NYY@NK33s' , dbname = 'BDB_2011_03_23')

Error: unexpected symbol in:
"conn <- dbConnect(MySQL() , user = 'root' , pwd = 'NYY@NK33s' , dbname = 'BDB_2011_03_23' 
  host"

thanks for any help here

library(DBI)
library(knitr)
library(kableExtra)
library(RMySQL)
drv <- dbDriver("MySQL")
con <- dbConnect(drv, username="root", password="[IF ANY]", dbname ="YOUR_DB", host="localhost")

res <- dbGetQuery(con, "SELECT field1, field2 FROM table1")

thanks.
I am also going to uninstall and reinstall the mysql and mysql workbench. I am in that process now. not sure if it will help, but the update to new r made things smooth, and I have nothing in MySQL now. you guys are great helps

technocrat
unfortunately, i am getting errors. for some reason default is setting not to root but to user in workbench for mysql, i am identified as user . in there i need to switch to root each time. so I did try your instructions with both user and root. this is my error i don't understand. on separate note, thru terminal I connect w mysqlsh --uri root@localhost. I am real confused here, with the user and root issue. i install everything w defualts, i din't change from root. frustration.

but it should be root for rmysql is my long point here

con <- dbConnect(drv, username="root", password="NYY@NK33s", dbname ="RBaseball", host="localhost")
Error in .local(drv, ...) : 
  Failed to connect to database: Error: Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: dlopen(lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so, 2): image not found
> con <- dbConnect(drv, username="user", password="NYY@NK33s", dbname ="RBaseball", host="localhost")
Error in .local(drv, ...) : 
  Failed to connect to database: Error: Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: dlopen(lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so, 2): image not found

What you're seeing is not a user role (root/non-root) error, but a missing .so file problem in your MariaDB install.

caching_sha2_password.so, 2): image not found

https://goo.gl/SzEsSW gives an idea of the issue on MySQL after some googling -- the battle of authentication protocols. I used to waste hours trying to trap and dissect this kind of bug when I had it, but nowadays I'm more likely to install the latest version (https://goo.gl/RqUYEZ) and see where that gets me.

There might be a way to flush the password cache, but that could be just another rabbit hole. If you're up to it, re-install and report back. Ping me @technocrat if I miss your update.

Good luck.

i seem to have bugs with a=just about everything. thats exaggeration of course, but way too many times. I see you're suggestion is mariaDB instead of mysql? I am tempted. but I for last near 2 months now I have been reading "analyzing baseball data with R' and I have a dated edition, I try and stick to it. once things get installed I have been having a ton of fun. I feel foolish when these bugs show up.

right now I want to try and connect RmariaDB to mysql, because I just made first database thru workbench and got it on server.

> con <- dbConnect(RMariaDB::MariaDB(), group = "BDB_2013_03_23")
Error in connection_create(host, username, password, dbname, as.integer(port),  : 
  Failed to connect: Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: dlopen(lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.so, 2): image not found
> 

the BDB_2013_03_23 is the database I created and trying to reach
I got this from github site from download.  I also used the original code directly from them
I am tired and may be repeating .  I will have to try again tomorrow
I appreciate your help tonight

Sorry for the difficulties.

MariaDB is a MySQL workalike from a user standpoint. I assumed somewhere from your error messages that you're on MariaDB, rather than MySQL.

The best way to find out is to type in the terminal

mysql -u root -p

And see if you set back a prompt identifying itself as mysql or MariaDB, you'll know which.

But you don't have to specify which flavor you're using if you use

library(DBI)
library(RMySQL)
drv <- dbDriver("MySQL")
con <- dbConnect(drv, username="root", password="", dbname ="dlf", host="localhost")

Change password from blank if you have one and change dlf to the name of the database. It won't matter whether the db engine is MySQL or MariaDB.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.